MXL 990 buzz/hum?

MCJosiah

I bought a MXL 990 with a Scarlett Solo Audio Interface about a year ago, & starting about 5 months ago, a nasty buzzy hum appeared(which was about 2 months after I moved too a new place) & while I can reduce it with EQ(cutting out all Bass) & clipping my antistatic wrist to the base of the mic or XLR clip where its plugged in, I can't completely get rid it & its hard to mix out. What do you think I can do to get rid of the buzz? I really hate it. I looked at many forums about this & got multiple answers, most being saying that there are grounding issues. What can I do?

Have you in fact confirmed good ground???

+1. Maybe screw off the basket and make a visual inspection for loose or broken connections?
Even the act of removing and refitting the headbasket may cure a grounding issue with the headbasket/threads.

Try the obvious stuff...Different mic to prove the setup, different cable, different interface (or mixer), different computer..etc.

After you follow the above suggestions and there is no remedy, you might want to try dehumidifying your mic, if necessary. I have a couple scratch mics that I leave out (covered) all the time and, occasionally, a mic will develop noise/hum that's been easily remedied by drying.

Paj
8^)

I always shudder when I read of peeps "earthing" themselves!

Yes! A hum/buzz in an audio or gitamp setup could well be an earthing problem but the VERY LAST thing you want to do is introduce YOUR body into what is, by definition, a faulty electrical system!!

I rarely cuss on forums but ALL you HRist? For Fuck Sake buy a $20 digital test meter! Then, OP, connect the meter (on AC volts) to the XLR case and a known earthed object such as a radiator or a cold water pipe or tap. If you get a reading of more than a couple of volts, check again in another room and work towards the closest outlet to the incoming supply. The volts should drop as you get closer, if not, get an electrician in.

In a few parts of the world they use a "floating" supply. This will hum but NEVER try to earth YOUR kit since that will put other users in danger.

Dave.

Back