MusiciansFriend.com Question...

BobOC

Hi folks...

I don't post here very often, but I have a question and I hope someone can help me out.

I bought a Behringer Bass Amp at MusiciansFriend.com. In classic "you get what you pay for" fashion, I was not at all thrilled with the sound of the amp. So I'd like to return it.

The customer service rep I just spoke to - who sounded all of 12 years old - told me that not only am I out the $20 shipping from the delivery of the amp to me, but I'm responsible for the return shipping as well. Is this standard practice with these guys?!? I've never returned anything so I'm kind of shocked.

The amp itself (60-watts) cost $139. It seems insane to pay $40 for the delivery charges on such an inexpensive item.

Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom! - BobOC

Yep, pretty much standard practice with most on-line businesses, unless the item is faulty for some reason.

For "inexpensive" equipment it may therefore pay off to buy locally, as you can always take it back...

You're probably out the money. Very few places will refund any of the shipping, either way. If the item was damaged in transit to you, you could possibly get the shipping discounted both ways. Certainly the return shipping.

But if you buy the item sight unseen and are not thrilled with it, then that was basically your responsibility to research the item before buying it. Very important to check out the sound of amps or instruments before buying, so the previous posters suggestion about buying locally is a good one.

there rips, never do business with criminals...

it's a long story, and i got the shaft, customers always do...

excuse the vagueness, no time...

i always go check out items locally if they

are available and then purchase online once ive made up my mind. We have one music shop here in town and their prices are unbelievably high compared to online stores.

Yo Roberto:

As the folks said, "You're up a liquified stream of pollution without a means of propulsion" regarding the shipping.

The only out is if you do big business with a vendor and you call and ask if they will take part of the shipping costs. Usually, shipping is the buyer's cost.

I have dealt with other vendors of non-musical gear who gladly will take care of shipping if the item purchased was faulty -- but, I think someone mentioned that.

Shipping costs usually pay the person on the phone's salary.

Green Hornet:D :p :p :cool: :cool:

so you expect MF to pay for your mistake? That's a great business model. You should NEVER buy anything from a catalog that you haven't tried before, unless you are willing to pay for the experiment. Also I doubt MF is making any real profit on shipping (as opposed to all those bastards on ebay...)

Shipping costs pay shipping costs and they don't make a profit on that. Try shipping something and see what it costs.........

And Mike's correct.....why should it cost MF $40 for you to try out a piece of equipment? Don't order something until you're sure you want it.

Have you ever shipped anything to a buyer on eBay? You'd be surprised at how much it costs once you add together shipping, insurance, and packaging materials. I often end up losing money on shipping, just so the shipping amount isn't a turnoff to potential bidders. The other reason shipping is a little inflated on eBay is that people are trying to offset the eBay selling fees and PayPal fees, which really take a bite out.

U see, this is why you have a local guitarcenter or some other guitar store. So you can try out that equpiment that your about to buy online.

I use MF ALL the time. Only problem i ever had was ordering the wrong ac adapter. I had orderd the wrong model so it had the wrong plug. I was only out like 3 bucks.

But honestly, you can beat the MF prices if you REALLY try. But it takes timing and effort. If you're ever invited to a preffered customer sale GO! The best deal i find are during huge sales when either they're overstocked or it's a floor model.

I once picked up an Ibanez GAX70 for $110. If you look around they go for about $200, even online. It's because mine was painted the color of the 7 sting model from the factory. It's factory mishap. guitarcenter had like 20 of them, sold them dir cheep.

If you're always checking prices you can walk with deals like this.

But the only thing i can suggets is NEVER buy something you've never played.

Some places even have a restocking fee AND some ALSO have a fee to cover the initial credit card process when you bought it BUT ALSO the chargeback fee to your credit card when you return it (If they don't simply offer store credit as the only option.)

Sorry
:(

Thanks for all the replies.

Mikedaul...no, I don't expect MF to "pay for my mistake." I am, however, employed in a service business, and I get requests like this from customers all the time. I have had good experiences with MF, and I've spent a lot of money there in the past three years....my hope was that they would offer to waive the return shipping for a good customer. I even mentioned that I didn't want my money back, just a credit towards a future purchase.

And re: their "business model"...funny, but they've often dropped their prices on stuff when I mention another web site (they did this when I bought a Martin last summer).

Their "business model" should include keeping loyal customers happy. I've never returned one item in the past three years. The clown I spoke to on the phone should've been aware of that (I'm sure he could pull up my account on the computer).

Regards...Bob.

Yo Lt. Bob:

I think you are little wrong about "shipping costs are shipping costs."

I've ordered the same stuff from different vendors and have seen a 50% difference in shipping costs. So, I do believe some folks who sell stuff pad the shipping costs to pay for their costs which costs everyone.

I could name my sources but, I do business with them both because sometimes the deal is "good" and I'm williing to let go a few dollars more on "shipping costs."

Green Hornet:D :p :p :D :cool:

Hmm....maybe.....but I recently got a used amp from a guy in New York. I checked everywhere and shipping was gonna cost me anywhere from $150-$200 (the amp weighs 95lbs :rolleyes: )
The guy, however, gets a special rate for some reason and it only cost $75. So apparently, different vendors might get different rates.
Once again, I don't know why he got that rate.

Back