Multiple Tape Decks and Tracks - mixer connections

Starliner

Hi all,

I have multiple tape decks: Tascam MS-16, Teac A3440, Ampex 354, and a Tascam 122 MK III cassette. I am looking for the best way to connect all of these to my mixer (Allen & Heath GS-R24M). I have looked online for answers, but few sites had more than one tape deck shown. I have never had to hook up a setup like this. I do have a few patchbays available.
Open to suggestions and any help (but not wanting to just get rid of the equipment and buy a hand-held recorder... LOL!) Scratching my head, and hair falling out.
Thanks!

Starliner

It's not "a" setup, it's a number of possible setups. Which one you want to use at any given time would determine how you connect things. The 354 and 122 MkIII are stereo decks, so you'd use one or the other when mixing down, most likely. Since the mixer seems to have plenty of multitrack I/O, it looks like you could have the MS-16 and the A3440 connected at the same time, and just patch the source to the appropriate input channel. Are you planning on bouncing between those two? That might take a bit of repatching, so perhaps then the patch bay would be helpful.

I assume you've got the analog I/O module.

It's possible I may bounce tracks. But I have the ADAT / Firewire module only... the analog module is made of unobtanium now.
The A&H will be connected to a PC via an RME HDSP9632 interface, probably via optical.

I had a couple of normalized patchbays so that the buss outs went to a MSR-16 'normalled' and then the other decks had their own patch points, and I could break the normal and patch to the other two. Same on the tape returns. But, for me, the flexibility and gear glut leads to inertia, and I spend more time deciding what piece of gear to use or chasing down a patch somewhere. So I'm in the process of selling off a lot of gear to simplify things.

Hmm your question doesn’t make any sense IMO.

If it were me, I would use the MS16 for multitrack- connect the outputs there to the inputs in your mixer and monitor from the mixer.

I would use the mike preamps on the 354 and feed their outputs to the inputs on the MS16 for recording.

When it comes time to mix, take the outputs from the mixer and feed then to the line inputs on the 354 and mix to that.

Connecting multiple tape decks to a mixer doesn’t make sense. So not sure what you’re thinking there. Also no idea where the PC comes in. No comment there as I would avoid it.

Sorry... I guess it's not the best-worded question. The multiple tape decks are for using the different tape sources (more for playback than recording) to get signals into the system for editing and recording to different mediums. Most signals will end up going into a PC at some point for editing. I also have a need to change a source tape (usually older two-track reels) to a different format (cassette or CD). I was also wondering how patchbays may be best used to interconnect the gear, yet being mindful of excessive signal switching and failure potentials in the signal chain.

Starliner

Three words - patch bay.
I do transfers here. I have a JH24 wired into my analog inputs via a patch bay. That's the default path. If I want to transfer from another machine - the MS16, the E16, TSR8, whatever, I patch those in. I don't go the other direction, but a patch bay is how I would also handle that problem, if I needed to.

I'm in the process of drawing a master cable layout (need a giant monitor to avoid constant re-zooming the views). Ordering the max size 13" x 19" printer paper for my printer so I can see all the details. I can see the patchbay necessity, and probably multiple patchbays... have four now.

Starliner

Back