Multiple input recording, New to this

TheOverallKyle

I record using an old behringer 1204fx mixer with 4 preamps built in, running into a soundcard behringer uca-202 RCA interface. Well, I obviously need to replace my soundcard for recording multiple inputs, right? Here's multiple options i was thinking of:

1) Replace soundcard:
-m audio fast track (pro/ultra)
WOULD I BE ABLE TO USE MY MIXER AND THIS SOUNDCARD TO RECORD MULTIPLE INPUTS/ HOW MANY?

2) Mic Preamps and soundcard
-SM Pro Audio PR8 MKII http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/SM-Pro-Audio-PR8-MKII-8-Channel-Microphone-Preamp?sku=240160
COULD I USE THE S/PDIF OUT FROM THE PREAMP INTO THE SOUNDCARD, AND RECORD MORE TRACKS SIMULTANEOUSLY (4-5)?

3) Shell out more for something like Tascam Us-1641

What would you suggest in my case?
I use Cubase 4 DAW :)

Well, as soon as you start using the Ultra, you will have four tracks and would really only be using the 1204FX for monitoring while you record.
I'd say, you may be heading off in the wrong direction here.
Think about how many inputs you want and start looking at audio interfaces with that many inputs.
The mixing and effects are all taken care of within the DAW and at your leisure.
So, if four's enough, the Fast Track Ultra is an excellent choice. If you want eight then start looking at Presonus, MOTU, Tascam and of course, the Zoom R16. There are others, by the way but what you will be looking for is an audio interface with 8 channels + preamps and ADAT I/O for future use.
Just one machine, is the point I'm making.
Let us know how it goes. :)

just for reference the SM audio PR8 is analog only unless fitted with optional adat card at which point it will transmit 8 discrete channels of digital audio but requires a device with ADAT input to receive it & ADAT is distinct from s/pdif toslink optical

s/pdif is basically a 2 channel protocol (say 'basically' because over the years there have been some non standard modified variations to try to support other then stereo)

Back