Mrs. Robinson (Simon and Garfunkel cover)

Hi all,
I'm returning to recording both vocals and guitar together since I tend to be irregular in timing. I'm using a clicktrack, but don't know if it's helping. Any thoughts?

Thank you,
HV

OK, I think it is good. If this were a live recording (as in stage) it would be great. However, I think as a HR it could be better.

If you could separate the guitar and the vocals. While a click track is great, not needed unless you start adding "computer" stuff to it. You just play and that dictates the time. If you get your "groove" on the guitar, then you should be able to lay the vocals down as an added track. It might take a few takes, some punch in and punch out.

When one makes a recording, the expectation tends to be higher. That is why you read about people doing 1000 takes to get two seconds of a song right. That is just the bar set for the last 50ish years, thanks to tape and multi-track recording.

You have everything you need here, decent guitar, good voice. Play the guitar, try and double track it. Then record the vocals, maybe add a layer. Work some EQ and you have a fine recording.

I think what you have is good and a nice representation of a great song. I think some more work on it and it can be better. I think your version of it is really good. There is strong talent behind the recording. Just push it to the next level.

Hopefully you take this in the positive spirit it was intended. To take something good and make it better, which is why this thread exists.

OK, I think it is good. If this were a live recording (as in stage) it would be great. However, I think as a HR it could be better.

If you could separate the guitar and the vocals. While a click track is great, not needed unless you start adding "computer" stuff to it. You just play and that dictates the time. If you get your "groove" on the guitar, then you should be able to lay the vocals down as an added track. It might take a few takes, some punch in and punch out.

When one makes a recording, the expectation tends to be higher. That is why you read about people doing 1000 takes to get two seconds of a song right. That is just the bar set for the last 50ish years, thanks to tape and multi-track recording.

You have everything you need here, decent guitar, good voice. Play the guitar, try and double track it. Then record the vocals, maybe add a layer. Work some EQ and you have a fine recording.

I think what you have is good and a nice representation of a great song. I think some more work on it and it can be better. I think your version of it is really good. There is strong talent behind the recording. Just push it to the next level.

Hopefully you take this in the positive spirit it was intended. To take something good and make it better, which is why this thread exists.
Thank you very much. I really appreciate your supportive comments. I am here to learn and grow. I will try it again using the techniques you suggest and see what happens. I generally like to do things all in one go, but I realize that doing separate tracks has many advantages.

Last edited:
Part of the magic of Simon and Garfunkel is their lovely harmonies. Once you get down the main vocal, why not try working on the harmony parts. It takes some work to get into the harmony mode, and to get comfortable singing those parts. But once you get them, it will surprise you how much it adds to the song.

I like the kind of innocent sound to this. It works well on a song like this.

I could comment that things sound a little boxy. But that sound kind of added to the charm.

Some timing and pitch issues in spots. Most of them are earlier in the song.

Like @TalismanRich I would like to hear the harmony vocal part.

I hear some background sounds. Ex: @1:33 and 1:35

I like the kind of innocent sound to this. It works well on a song like this.

I could comment that things sound a little boxy. But that sound kind of added to the charm.

Some timing and pitch issues in spots. Most of them are earlier in the song.

Like @TalismanRich I would like to hear the harmony vocal part.

I hear some background sounds. Ex: @1:33 and 1:35
Thank you all for your suggestions. It looks like I have some work to you, but I am motivated to do better and hope you will be there to listen to the next version. The background sounds are probably from my NYC window where there's always something happening. :)

Back