Dream a little dream of me (Mama Cass cover)

Hi all,
I hope you're doing great this holiday season!
I tried my hand at a classic and was hoping you might have some comments on how to improve. This is what I did:

-vocals and guitar recorded together but on separate tracks, both on stereo, both using my PreSonus kit mic.
-guitar has hall reverb + basic acoustic guitar settings
-vocals have hall reverb + flat plate +female pop vocals louder settings
-clicktrack at 50bpm

Thank you
HV

Perhaps you should try it without the click track and just let it flow... it's hard to maintain "swing" to a click.

Overall playing, VOX, sound is good ;)

For me - the click track made me a little confused. Had you not mentioned it, I'd have commented that the timing was all over the place, and maybe a click track would have sorted it? If you had a click track, someting odd happened.
The original song is in 4/4, but sort of has a 6/8 feel, because it's swung. The lead vocal therefore floats around, coming in behind the beat on the first note, but consistently. This never shows in the sheet music. Yours sort of is more rigid, but the guitar is attempting to swing - but suddenly slows down when a trickier section arrives, then speeds up again- crossing and re-crossing the vocal rhythm. It sort of sounds like two people have played to a click in isolation, then have been added later. Two separate tempos around the click, but each ignoring the other. The original had the accompaniment with it's emphasis on beats 2 and 4, but the singer prefers 1 and 3 in places. I think the actual voice and guitar sound work fine - but they just don't blend, they sort of fight?

I think the vocal is very nice. I would suggest the old, keep doing takes to get the recording better. It is good, but if you want to get it to a higher level, just need to work at it a bit more.

Don't under estimate how hard it is to record music. People think it just happens. Well it doesn't, there is a lot of effort involved. I am saying this so you are not discouraged. You have a good voice and it is worth recording, just need to put more time into it.

Yes, as usual, my timing issues are my greatest challenge. Maybe I should forget the click and keep trying to get a better take. I appreciate y'all's comments!!!

-clicktrack at 50bpm

High Paulina,

The reason the click track isn't working is that it needs to match the intended bpm of the song (which as recorded in this case is between 90bpm and129bpm).

50bpm is way too slow for this song and will throw you off as you wait for the click and then try to catch up again.

Try recording this again and use a click track at around 88bpm and see how that goes.

(EDITED to 88bpm as per original song)

Last edited:
Try recording this again and use a click track at around 110 bpm and see how that goes.
The potential problem she might run into if she doubles up the click is that it will have a straight 8th note feel, while the song has more of a dotted 8th or triplet feel. I agree with you about somehow doubling up the click though, because 50bpm leaves a lot of room between clicks and can lead to major wavering.

Personally, I'd do it without a click at all.

EDIT: Now that I listen again, a click at 100 or 110bm might actually work. In Paulina's version, she' not really swinging it a lot. It's played and sung pretty close to a straight 4/4 feel. A faster click might actually work after all. I think I'd still try it without the click, but a click at 100-110 might also be worth a try.

You have a beautiful voice, Paulina.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your comments. I definitely feel better when I don't use a click and maybe that would lead to a better (albeit irregular) result. I will keep experimenting in my laboratory!

Thank you so much for your comments. I definitely feel better when I don't use a click and maybe that would lead to a better (albeit irregular) result. I will keep experimenting in my laboratory!
Why not use a drum loop that sorta goes with the song? I usually find a loop and copy and paste it into my song project. I put about 4 or 5 minutes worth in then record a scratch track against the beat. It’s a little more natural feeling than just that annoying click. Once you get a track recorded that is on time you can delete the drum loop.
Guy

Why not use a drum loop that sorta goes with the song? I usually find a loop and copy and paste it into my song project. I put about 4 or 5 minutes worth in then record a scratch track against the beat. It’s a little more natural feeling than just that annoying click. Once you get a track recorded that is on time you can delete the drum loop.
Guy
Yes, I need to do that. Where do you find your drum loops?

As I have gotten more experienced at recording (I didn't say good ;) ) I started with drum grooves or loops, then added a click with the loops. Now sometimes I will just do the click, but often you do need some sort of groove.

Not as cheap as it use to be, maybe if it goes on sale, but EZ drummer has some nice grooves, you can add packs that get you closer to your style. You can adjust to the beat, etc and remove them later or not render, but I find that helps.

It is not a straight path, but I think you can get there, just a matter of learning and growing.

Yes, I need to do that. Where do you find your drum loops?
I received a flash drive ( when I bought my zoom r24 )that has a bunch of beats and individual hits on it which I use for a metronome when I need to.
I’m sure a quick online search would reveal more free drum beats than you can ever use. Just a matter of finding something suitable without wasting hours listening to junk you won’t use. Good luck
Guy

Last edited:
Back