MR16HD on board eq

aceteleman

I've only had my MR16HD for a couple of months and haven't had any problems recording with it at all. But I can't seem to figure out how to use the on board eq settings. The instructions in the user manual are kind of scant. I've followed those instructions but hear no difference in the recorded tracks.

Basically I do most of my mixing on my pc with Sonar Producer and use the effects and eq there as they are adjustable versus pre-sets but I really would like to know how to use the pre-sets on the recorder to see what the difference is.

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong??

The Teleman :confused:

The Input equaliser works only on the inputs so you will only hear the effects on input signals. (OK so its a bit daft)
But this is where the MR16 is so clever!

Record your raw input on to two channels, say 1 & 2, Now the clever bit. Use two mono patch leads and connect the Aux Out 1 & 2 to Inputs A & B. Set the Aux Out to Aux 1 = 1 and Aux 2 = 2. Set Inputs A & B to Tracks 3 & 4.
Switch Input Eq on for A & B and monitor Tracks 3 & 4 while changing the Input Eq on the Menu using the Menu/Enter knob. You can change the EQ Library while listening to the effects in the monitor mode.

In short re-record your raw input onto a second pair of tracks and pass them through the Input Eq at the same time.
Aux Out is very useful for re-recording and processing at the same time.

You can switch Eq effects "live" and listen to your wonderful recording being screwed up by what is a fairly average set of effects. I just wish that Fostex had left one or two of the 33 effects to be varied by the user. For example an effect could be set by the Menu system using a High, Med, Low with a range from 1-10.

But Aux Out will allow you to patch an equaliser or other effects box into the recording loop and alter your raw input in any way you wish.

Hope this helps

Back