mpx-500 vs tc m-one

steelpetals

i know this has been discussed before but I'm debating between the lexicon mpx-500 and the tc electronic m-one. I'm hesitant about the tc as it does not have the rotary speaker effect. However, will i be unhappy with the quality of all the other effects if I don't go with the m-one?
Lastly, how big is the difference between the m-one and the m-one xl?
Thanks

I've never used the M-one XL, so my comments are based on the original M-One. I should also say that my comparison was done over a year ago, probably more like two years, so it's possible that newer firmware releases have changed things.
So, when I compared the two, it was in the pro audio department of a local music store, on a slow day with almost no background noise. The store had a switching system setup to be able to switch processors in and out instantly, making a/b comparisons easy to do. I went in as a long time Lexi fan who had been told by a couple of people that in that price range I should really listen to the M-One.
I can't remember what the mic was, but I listened to both verbs with acoustic guitar, finger snaps, stick hits, and vocals. The difference was shocking to me, so much that I wondered if something was wrong with the Lexicon. The Lexi had that thickness that I expected, but the tails were terrible. They sounded very artificial, with a sort of looped repetitiveness that betrayed their digital nature. The M-One on the other hand sounded like the natural decay of a room, and was more realistic by a huge margin.
I think that some people would prefer the Lexi for it's somewhat fatter sound, but to me the realism of the TC trumped that. It might have a lot to do with the kind of music you do. I work with a lot of acoustic instruments, including guitar, mandolin, piano, violin, viola, cello, etc. For me, realistic was the deciding factor. For more electronic stuff, the fatness of the lexi could be better.

Hope that helps a little, RD

how about the noise floor? I've heard the lexi is more noisy. Is the rotary speaker function any good. The reason I ask this is that besides using it as a vocal processor I was hoping to use it in conjunction with my keys for hammond b3 sounds to get the added leslie effect. But if the reverbs are indeed that much better on the M-one???????? It seems as though robert D and blue bear feel different. The music I record is blues rock if this helps.

The M-One XL is nicer than the M-One. The reverbs are smoother and overall I thought the tone was just better. There's also other improvements over the original M-One as well. I actually thought the M-One XL competed more in the M2000 range. It's worth paying a little more for the XL version in my opinion.

In that price range I'd also suggest you check out the Kurzweil Rumour if you are looking for reverb primarily.

Funny how people can get 2 COMPLETELY different opinions about the same piece of gear.

The way Robert D described the Lexi's sound is exactly the way the M*One sounded to me... I found the M-One to be the one that had far less realistic verbs.......

Hey, mabe the mpx WAS broken.....

I liked the meat of the MPX, but the tails of the TC.

I should also point out that I own a Powercore card and Samplitude professional, and between the Megaverb, the Classic Verb, running on those 4 motorola 56k flex chips, and the Room Sim in Samplitude running the standard impulses plus the TC-3000 impulses, well......I don't use the M-One anymore. TC is about to release a new Powercore option. It's the same card without the X3 multiband software, for somewhere around $500. That's some serious quality for a song if you can host VST's.
RD

the decision has been made. I opted for the Lexi. I know this may be despite what many have felt around here. I really need a rotary speaker to give me a leslie on the B3 sounds in my roland JV-1010. The TC unit does naot have this. In additon, I got the guy at guitar center to part with the demo for $199, which I felt was reasonable for the MPX-500. Besides I get a warranty which is more than I could say had I used ebay. So....while some may feel I'm short changing myself on the qulaity of reverbs the TC unit carries, the Lex simply is the better deal for my needs.

Blue Bear Sound said:
Personally, I hated the sound of the M-One over the MPX500....

But you really have to try for yourself...

.............and this is the same man who convinced me to purchase the Lex 500 'bout 3 1/2 yrs ago and son, Cuzzin' Brucie Blue Bear
was on point!! Stuck-in-reverse using Beh's low quality DSP Pro1000 and constantly disappointed by unit's 'Verb patches, I bought the 500 and was more than satisfied with it's efx processing. Also, the MPX500's effect parameters can be adjusted in .075 increments allowing for effective fine tuning of it's sweet 'Verbs!!
A month ago, I bought the TC MC300 for it's unique inclusion of some of the M-1's effects. A compact version with 2 effect banks;
Delays,Phase,Flange,Chorus,Compress etc on 1 and 'Verbs such as Club,Living Room,Vocal Room,Drum Room,Plate,Concert etc on 2. I must admit that the MC300 processes some lush and spacious
'Verberation along with it's most excellent Delays (and has TAP function too). All this from MC300, so you can imagine what the M-1 can do!!I like both, but I gotta' show mo' luv for the Lex MPX500!
Just my .0000000001 cents worth.

That's sure a piddly amount. But your right the 500 is one fine machine. Although I only use it for the verbs and chorus it's was worth every penny I spent on it.

But you need to be the judge. Listen and then buy the best.

steelpetals said:
the decision has been made. I opted for the Lexi. I know this may be despite what many have felt around here. I really need a rotary speaker to give me a leslie on the B3 sounds in my roland JV-1010. The TC unit does naot have this. In additon, I got the guy at guitar center to part with the demo for $199, which I felt was reasonable for the MPX-500. Besides I get a warranty which is more than I could say had I used ebay. So....while some may feel I'm short changing myself on the qulaity of reverbs the TC unit carries, the Lex simply is the better deal for my needs.

Wise choice grasshopper!:cool:

Back