moving plugins to another drive without reinstalling

brownbearTLE

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a 64 gb solid state drive, housed in a case that takes the sata to esata, then connects though an express card on my mac pro. OsX is installed on this external drive, and i boot it up for recording. This runs so fast! It really helped out on pro tools cutting out on me.

Now, i googled this but came up with ambiguous answers, can you transfer plug-ins from another drive to the external drive without reinstalling them? Some plug ins say that the code has already been used and i cannot install them. Btw these programs have not been pirated.

Thanks

I do not know in Mac but in Windows, I always do plug-in installation on the OS (for Direct X or VST). Then the DAW will refresh for effects and include those successfully installed effects for use. Probably in your case, if you refresh the effects list, it might include plug-ins installed in different drive but not yet sure on this. Have you tried it?

On a mac i believe you write the files to a certain disk.

My laptop is used for school, so the main hard disk is filled with stuff i don't need for recording. I also took out the optical bay and placed in a hard drives used for media files/audio files. So, i put the external (through sata not usb) as a main boot drive while recording, placed a partition on my main hard drive as a back up (only 64 gb out of 500), and set up the other hard drive in a raid array to be able to access the files while booted up on either the main hard drive or the external solid state drive.

What i'm getting at is that while booted up in my external, files from my main hard drive cannot be accessed. Maybe i could set the main drive in the raid array to get these plug in files but i want to use the ssd power to use the plug ins. So i'm still trying to figure out how to move every installed program (plug-ins) from one disk to the other without having to reinstall them.

ive had to change disks a couple of times and its definitely not as simple as copy and paste..Im not sure if there is software that can help but on a PC some plugs will allow this, some its a new install so when Ive attempted it again Ive just started from scratch

You could make a clone of the drive, the delete all the stuff on the clone that you don't want keeping all the studio / music stuff. Then use the clone as the new music only drive, the plugins and all the software will work on the clone.

I actually have a clone of my studio drive as a standby incase the drive / computer goes down.

Alan.

You could make a clone of the drive, the delete all the stuff on the clone that you don't want keeping all the studio / music stuff. Then use the clone as the new music only drive, the plugins and all the software will work on the clone.

I actually have a clone of my studio drive as a standby incase the drive / computer goes down.

Alan.

what software do you use to clone Alan?

and if you had 300 gigs of information would a clone need a further 300 gigs of space?

Ive burnt out two hard drives in three years...

Am I alone in the PC world, where you just copy the dll file and all is good? I have no MAC experience, so I am not of any use here. Not even sure why I posted. :confused:

nope Im pc :)

some plug ins if you just copy and paste the dll it doesnt link anymore

I suppose its to protect against piracy or all that would be need would be to copy and paste programmes from one HD to another...it must fuck up something in the registry or something ???

what software do you use to clone Alan?

and if you had 300 gigs of information would a clone need a further 300 gigs of space?

Ive burnt out two hard drives in three years...

I use "Acronis True Image" for windows, for Macs use "SuperDuper".

I have always cloned to a new drive as they are so cheap, you can clone over an existing clone if you have updated the software on your main drive, the new drive can be bigger than the existing drive and I think it can be smaller as long as it has enough capacity (never tried this).

I have a clone due to 2 drive failures in a year, caused by a windows issue stopping the studio operating. Now if the drive fails or windows crashes I just install the clone and off we go. All my audio files are on 2 other slave drives so my main drive and clone only runs the programs.

Am I alone in the PC world, where you just copy the dll file and all is good? This does not work for everything, I know I have tried.

Alan.

I use "Acronis True Image" for windows, for Macs use "SuperDuper".

I have always cloned to a new drive as they are so cheap, you can clone over an existing clone if you have updated the software on your main drive, the new drive can be bigger than the existing drive and I think it can be smaller as long as it has enough capacity (never tried this).

I have a clone due to 2 drive failures in a year, caused by a windows issue stopping the studio operating. Now if the drive fails or windows crashes I just install the clone and off we go. All my audio files are on 2 other slave drives so my main drive and clone only runs the programs.

Am I alone in the PC world, where you just copy the dll file and all is good? This does not work for everything, I know I have tried.

Alan.

thanks

my PC runs with 3 HDs just now so Id prolly clone to an external...Ill def look at that..I copy my work files but going through a complete install of plugs etc its a headache I could do without

Back