Most disgusting, dissonant chord

famous beagle

Hey guys, what's the nastiest sounding chord you can muster?

Here's my pick:

e---0---
B---6---
G---0---
D---6---
A---0---
E---6---

Beagle, that one is a winner. I can't even post my glorified E diminished chord after that one.

An honest question: knowing your extensive knowledge of theory combined with a very cool background of musical transcription...has this chord ever been used in anything?

Purge said:
Beagle, that one is a winner. I can't even post my glorified E diminished chord after that one.

An honest question: knowing your extensive knowledge of theory combined with a very cool background of musical transcription...has this chord ever been used in anything?

Not that I know of. I don't even think it could be named in a traditional way. All I did was stack a bunch of minor 2nds together.

sweet!!!

This has been my dream for quite some time now - to invent the worst chord ever. Just imagine a stadium full of screaming fans you're playing a great set and then it comes- "And now, Ladies and Gentlemen, the worst chord ever." You strum it hard and let it ring and the fans go nuts, partly becuase it sounds so terrible that it physically hurts and partly because it sounds so terrible. Yeah, it would be sweet.

Now just to find it.....

famous beagle said:
Not that I know of. I don't even think it could be named in a traditional way. All I did was stack a bunch of minor 2nds together.

Actually, I think the chord name would be Em7sus4....E,G,B,D = Em7, add A and it is the sus4th.

Of course I could be wrong though... ;)

SteveK said:
Actually, I think the chord name would be Em7sus4....E,G,B,D = Em7, add A and it is the sus4th.

Of course I could be wrong though... ;)

No, no ... the notes on the left are just telling the name of the open strings for reference. The notes shown in the tab are: Bb, A, Ab, G, F, E.

famous beagle said:
No, no ... the notes on the left are just telling the name of the open strings for reference. The notes shown in the tab are: Bb, A, Ab, G, F, E.

I'm not usually this stupid.... :o

I used to be in a band with someone who didn't know a lot of the chords and whenever you showed him anything like that he would say 'Oh yes, Zed minor' (or Zee minor if you're American)

In a band I had we developed 'toad music' and that was to go to a instrumental break with first postition guitar chords but raise the fingering one fret. Sounded awful, but well rehearsed.

i actually love dissonant chords, especially if they are played in the context of a dark and brutal metal song. For example, the band Nevermore always uses heavy and brutal dissonant chords.

I don't think there is a disgusting dissonant chord because I just love them.

famous beagle said:

Damn! That's better than my trusty old "dorm room fire alarm chord", and easier to play too!

The old one was:

x
x

mshilarious said:
Damn! That's better than my trusty old "dorm room fire alarm chord", and easier to play too!

The old one was:

x
x

Your chord is nearly the same as beagles, just not as many stacks minor 2nds.

Actually, I lied. It's similar in that they both employ minor 2nds, but that's where the similarities end.

What is the most disgusting chord? I don't think that's a valid question. When a chord is played out of place in any progression- it's only then that it sounds dissonent. Some very complex chords are used in Jazz and it sounds very normal.

But this could be considered a mess:
5 note chord with distortion turned on. This causes intermodulation distortion. That is why power chords are smooth with distortion.- just 2 notes.

Back