Monster Vs. Mogami

jonrusso99

Is one any better than the other? Im especially interested in the high end microphone cable compaisons ie between Monsters SP1000 series and Mogami's Gold Series. Are monster cables worth the price (about twice as much as mogami at Musiciansfriend.com). I dont want to sacrifice sound quality but I also don't want to pay for the name.

Any comments?

Thanks

jonrusso99 said:
Is one any better than the other? Im especially interested in the high end microphone cable compaisons ie between Monsters SP1000 series and Mogami's Gold Series. Are monster cables worth the price (about twice as much as mogami at Musiciansfriend.com). I dont want to sacrifice sound quality but I also don't want to pay for the name.

Any comments?

Thanks

I don't have any of the P1000s. However, I do own several of the P500 and one Mogami Gold Series (all 20ft). In my non-scientific head-to-head using a Shure SM57 and running the mic into a Fender Acoustasonic SFX amp, I thought the Monster reproduced my voice more clearly. The Mogami seemed dull by comparison. To my ears, this was not a negligible difference, but a very noticeable one. I have not done any recorded tests. Based on that test, however, I did buy several more Monsters.

That being said, Monster has been engaging in some not-so-nice business practices by threatening litigation against numerous small companies (who have no relation to audio equipment) that have the word 'monster' in their names (google for more info). Based on that fact alone, I will not buy any more Monster cable. I have heard that the BLUE (blueberry) cables are nice, so I may check them out if I need more mic cables in the future.

If you really want the Monsters, try to get them through one of the academic supply places (www.academicsuperstore.com). If you are a student, teacher, or in any way affiliated with an academic institution (or know someone who is and will buy them for you), you can save about 40% compared to MF and other retailers.

Yeah I've heard many bad things about monster on the business side at least. Based on the money I'm leaning towards mogami.

I love my BLUE Kiwi cable. Dont have a good monitoring chain or A/D converters or pre's, so I cant really comment on the sound.

But they're so damn gorgeous.... I really enjoy using it, so it's worth the 30 bucks for me.

I don't know anything about Mogami cables, but I do know that Monster cables carry a lifetime/no questions asked warranty, and Guitar Center is really good about honoring that warranty. They are expensive, but they sound great, and the warranty sells them for me. (I use them mostly for live sound.)

Monster are exactly that - corporate monster. I'll never buy their products again. Besides, their guitar cables fall apart after a year. I've seen several failures. Mic cables I dunno. XLR connectors will always hold up better.

The only Mogami cables I use are their mini bantams on my console, and they are hand-made jewels, very, very nice quality connectors (and expensive, I should add). I don't think the cable itself is anything 'exotic' though.

Back