Monitors???

Which Monitors for my first home studio???

• Total voters

89gtsleeper

Ok, I am torn on which monitors to get...

M-Audio BX-8a - 500/pr.
KRK RP8 - 500/pr.
Mackie HR624 - 600/pr. (on sale)
Alesis M1 Active MKII 700/pr.
Yamaha HS80M 325/pr. (on sale)

89gtsleeper said:
Ok, I am torn on which monitors to get...

M-Audio BX-8a - 500/pr.
KRK RP8 - 500/pr.
Mackie HR624 - 600/pr. (on sale)
Alesis M1 Active MKII 700/pr.
Yamaha HS80M 325/pr. (on sale)

I'd go with the Mackies. definitely a step up from the others mentioned there (except maaaybe the Yamahas..), however i HIGHLY doubt they're cheaper than the Alesis..are you sure the price for the Mackies aren't per unit rather than a pair?

I've auditioned quite a few monitors and the HR624s are a well defined step up from the RP and BX series, and I would even venture they are slightly better than the HR824s as they seem more over all balanced to me, the 824s are bit muddy in the lowend.

I'm really diggin' the Bx8a monitors. They work well for me. After auditioning several in the same area, they just stood out as having the most range without any frequency hype.

I'd rent/buy/lease them all (a pair at a time of course) and try them out at your place and keep the ones that sound the best/most accurate/non fatiguing/non irritating in your own environment.

Have you given them a good listen? If you haven't, then there's no point in asking us what our ears like. You ask 10 people and you'll get 8 different opinions. If you have given them a comparitve listen and you can't tell which ones work for your ears, you should work on training your ears first before you buy anything at all.

In the meantime, if you really think there's any value whatsoever in getting opinions from strangers with ears and tastes as different from yours as Vivaldi's are from van Halen's, then check out this never-ending thread.

G.

Yeah, guitar center in Oklahoma City has a clearance on those Mackies right now for 299 a piece for the HR624s... From what I understand these monitors are extremely detailed and at that price, I'm thinking I might need to jump on them. Regular catalog price is 450 a piece, and right now I can get thme at 300 a piece. That basically allows me to make a step up in performance for the same price I was already thinking about spending...

SouthSIDE Glen said:
Have you given them a good listen? If you haven't, then there's no point in asking us what our ears like. You ask 10 people and you'll get 8 different opinions. If you have given them a comparitve listen and you can't tell which ones work for your ears, you should work on training your ears first before you buy anything at all.

In the meantime, if you really think there's any value whatsoever in getting opinions from strangers with ears and tastes as different from yours as Vivaldi's are from van Halen's, then check out this never-ending thread.

G.

probably the best post in this thread.

after pdlstl's of course :cool:

so I went to Guitar Center Today and talked to JJ again... once again I got hooked up unbelievably...

I got the following:
Pair of Yamaha HS80M Monitors
2 - 6' Mogami Gold Balanced 1/4" - XLR Cables
Full Set of Auralex MoPads

I walked out of the store for 600 bucks on the nose.... tax and all. He rang it up at 869 before giving me a price cut. I'm so stoked about this studio... It's really coming together!!!!

congrats.. Yammies
nice setup. learning them is what its about, hopefully you can enjoy them while that happens. cables and pads to boot!...nice.

I never hear the Yammies much at my shop as their hooked up on the side to a computer setup, away form the pile of monitors and flip switch board.

seems Mackies are dropping prices everywhere?
a GC dewd, Saturday, stated the new Mackies have been having trouble, shit China manufacturing builds...and the new ones are not to be confused with the earlier version of the Mackies. I don't know if this is true? it was news to me. Has there been some quality issues?
I'd read a 1998 mag on them when they were released, and wanted to check them out. The same dewd said some people are paying top dollar for the older ones...just gear talk.

COOLCAT said:
seems Mackies are dropping prices everywhere?
a GC dewd, Saturday, stated the new Mackies have been having trouble, shit China manufacturing builds...and the new ones are not to be confused with the earlier version of the Mackies.
Man, how many times does this board have to shoot down the bullsh*t flung by retail salespeople before someone takes those salespeople out and has them shot?

Or better yet, before the buying public gets smart and learns that they get paid based upon the amount of profit they generate for the company, and therefore try to sell the high profit margin stuff and trash the low profit margin stuff such as clearance sale items.

When you see stuff that's on sale everywhere, that usually indicates one of two things: either that the manufacturer wants them cleared out of the sales pipeline so that they the retailers have inventory room and budget for upcoming new product lines, or the manufacturer has over-manufactured their product and therefore had to flood the market with inventory that needs to be cleared out. I'll give you 5:1 odds that one of those two (if not both) is exactly what is going on with the universal sale prices on Mackie monitors these days.

G.

JJ is awesome, he and Stephen really know their stuff, probably two of only twenty in the GC chain. I like Event monitors, btw. I own two sets of the ASP8s. Top notch tech and support.

I really want to get the HS80M's but can't really afford them right now, the 5" are just too wimpy for me... i need the bass. I was also looking at the RP-8's, but can anyone answer this... what does BLEM mean beside the merch.? I saw a pair of BLEM HS80M's for cheaper... are they used or in not so good shape?

I really want to get the HS80M's but can't really afford them right now, the 5" are just too wimpy for me... i need the bass. I was also looking at the RP-8's, but can anyone answer this... what does BLEM mean beside the merch.? I saw a pair of BLEM HS80M's for cheaper... are they used or in not so good shape?

Blem means it's blemished. As in scratch and dent, but gaurenteed to work fine.

Blem means blemish. Usually a new product that has a scratch or dent or something like that. Should be in fine working condition though. A good way to get things cheaper.

..I see Guitarer beat me to the punch

Hi

I got me the Alesis M1 Active MK2s a few weeks ago. I find them okay but haven't a reference point to compare them with as I've not used other monitors. Good advice given to me regarding my Alesis purchase is that they are good for the price at entry level.

Whatever you buy, you will have to become the master of your own monitors and grow to know them inside out in order to compensate for differences between their response (or lack of) and what your mixes end up as. I suppose you could add a sub woofer later if you felt the need.

Mackie MR5's are of a comparable price to the Alesis ones. I found mixed reviews about the Alesis ones. However, I could only find good things written about the Mackie MR5s with one person siting that they were better than the larger MR8s. I was going to get the MR5s instead of the Alesis but every outlet I tried to get them from was out of stock. I don't regret my Alesis purchase though.

LiD

I'm just gonna jump right in and hi-jack rather than starting a new thread for a quick question.

For the guys that know what they're doing - when going for first real monitor purchase, what specs should I be looking for to decide what to test when I go shopping?

The last thing I want to be doing is trawling round music shops listening to every pair of monitors they have in stock, are there any rules to easily slim-line my search, or should I just try whatever they have within my budget?

Sorry for the newbish question!

Back