Monitors or Cans?

There goes NYM again, protesting too much about someone else supposedly protesting too much.

Didn't you know, miro? In NYM's world we agree on everything. That would be absurdly laughable enough right there (as you well know ;)), until you realize that in NYM's world one or the other of us (or both?) are responsible for the snow removal in NYC, all those dead red wind blackbirds in Arkansas, and Taylor Swift. You became president of the US without being born in this country, and I'm keeping Saddam Hussein on dialysis in my basement. And I committed the sacrilegious crime of defining "normalization" the way the rest of the entire human race defines it, for which NYM will never forgive his grudge.

In this case, it's a real reach. Mixerdude actually does know what he's talking about, unlike NYM, and I never said otherwise. I just called him for still playing the secret identity game on his own blogsite and for coming across as far more egotistical than a real professional needs to in his forum posts, even if he doesn't mean to.

Have I been guilty of the same thing in the past? Probably. Which makes me all that much more qualified to recognize it in others ;).

G.

There goes NYM again, protesting too much about someone else supposedly protesting too much.

Didn't you know, miro? In NYM's world we agree on everything. That would be absurdly laughable enough right there (as you well know ;)), until you realize that in NYM's world one or the other of us (or both?) are responsible for the snow removal in NYC, all those dead red wind blackbirds in Arkansas, and Taylor Swift. You became president of the US without being born in this country, and I'm keeping Saddam Hussein on dialysis in my basement. And I committed the sacrilegious crime of defining "normalization" the way the rest of the entire human race defines it, for which NYM will never forgive his grudge.

In this case, it's a real reach. Mixerdude actually does know what he's talking about, unlike NYM, and I never said otherwise. I just called him for still playing the secret identity game on his own blogsite and for coming across as far more egotistical than a real professional needs to in his forum posts, even if he doesn't mean to.

Have I been guilty of the same thing in the past? Probably. Which makes me all that much more qualified to recognize it in others ;).

G.
Lol, I almost peed my pants when I read this. You belong on the 'Office'.;)

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

But Miss Morningstar....YOU are the one protesting! :laughings:

You know, one of the most enjoyable aspects of Internet forums is the peanut gallery...made up of people with no real convictions of their own to stand by...so they just skim off of what others say...and then often whine about it.

Yeah...I guess the lady DO protest! :D

Didn't you know, miro? In NYM's world we agree on everything.

That's the funniest part (assuming he was referring to us as the "dynamic duo"). I mean, for as much as we've agreed on things...we've disagreed as much on many others.
Not really the way a "dynamic duo" would function...is it? ;)

But then, maybe he was referring to you and Lt. Bob as the dynamic duo, since you two actually are the ones who mentioned and agreed on Mixerman's defensive attitude and posts in this thread.

Hey Miss Morningstar...
I think you can buy the book at Amazon...it's only about $10-$15...no need to suck-up on the forums. :rolleyes:

Not really the way a "dynamic duo" would function...is it? ;)
More like the "Dysfunctional Duo" maybe ;). At least when we disagree we get over it eventually.
But then, maybe he was referring to you and Lt. Bob as the dynamic duo
I doubt it, I don't think Lt. Bob is on anyone's bad side here. I can understand not everybody caring for me, but the Lieutenant is one of the more agreeable guys on here.

Besides, after what happened in Seattle this afternoon, it would be just plain cruel and inhuman to pile on Bob today.:(

G.

I don't think Lt. Bob is on anyone's bad side here. I can understand not everybody caring for me, but the Lieutenant is one of the more agreeable guys on here.

I was being facetious...seeing how dumb Miss Morningstar's comments were.

"...your person gets stepped on."...:rolleyes:

Don't see where anyone did that, and don't know of any "dynamic duo" conspiracy to do so, either.

It's funny how someone comes into a thread out of nowhere, takes a couple of deliberate personal shots (while accusing others of the same thing)...

...just so he can suck-up a little. :o

I was being facetious...seeing how dumb Miss Morningstar's comments were.

"...your person gets stepped on."...:rolleyes:

Don't see where anyone did that, and don't know of any "dynamic duo" conspiracy to do so, either.

It's funny how someone comes into a thread out of nowhere, takes a couple of deliberate personal shots (while accusing others of the same thing)...

...just so he can suck-up a little. :o
Did you ever read Shakespeare?

Did I mention either one of you two in my post? If the shoe fits...

Did I mention either one of you two in my post?

Awwwwww...now your being as coy as a 16-year old girl...meanwhile, the entire high-school knows she's infatuated with Johnny. :o

Regardless of who you are talking about...you just don't have the balls to say it straight up...so it's all this innuendo and dancing around. :laughings:

Enjoy your day, Miss Morningstar. :rolleyes:

Do not regret buying those BX-8a monitors. I use them along with a set of Yamaha HS 50Ms. They compliment themselves very well. The Yamaha's are my main mixing monitors where I set the tracks tonality and levels. Then I switch the the BX8As and and focus on the lows and highs. I do not trust the mids in them but then that is what the Yamaha monitors do best..mids. The BX8as will tell you if the bass is too much and the highs will be harsh if they are not right in them as well. After going back and forth a few times with them, I give a listen through a third set of speakers and then headphones. If all sounds good, it is time to run a print and head to the car! :)

Placement is important with them as well. They have to be faaaar away from walls as they are rear ported and throw a lot out the back. I used to have them a foot and a half from the wall, now they are in the center of the room..about 5 feet from the wall. They put out a lot of bass so in a small room bass traps are a MUST.

Hope this helps out.

i just want to back the no headphones idea. they suck for mixing. mine are 170$ KRK's and i dont even think they are very good for even just listening to music.

BUT i see a way better result from them as apposed to my Mac's stock speakers when it comes to mixing.

in my opinion, you have two options. the first being the best option and buying some high in monitors and treating your room for 1000-2000$ dollars. and the second best option being by some cans for 150$.

it probably just comes down to seriousness of your project. thats my 50 cents.

Treating my "room" is pretty much limited to maybe hanging blankets, and building some portable panels. I live in an apartment, so causing permanent changes to the room are pretty much a no-no. Second my "room" is also a sort of "office" where the computers, printer etc. live. Typically where I lock myself away to do my homework. It is crowded and small. So, I will have to take a more creative approach to "treatment." It certainly cannot be within that $1-2000 range stated above. I don't even have income steady enough to try and save to that point. If I ever get a house though, all of the above conditionals will be off! Also, hoping that within the next few months (post graduation) my financial situation will improve. It better. Sure ain't burning all that money on classes for nothing, right? :P

The only thing that I want to be able to do is make "ok" sounding recordings. In fact, being a little rough wouldn't bother me much at all. I have listened to a lot of good music that didn't have the highest production values. It isn't so much about making it perfect, as it is about making it adequate/listenable. You don't need the "best" for that. Lol. Not saying that good gear isn't great... just saying that at some point, for a home project, I will likely see diminishing returns.

I kinda want a set of KRKs, but I have to wait and see what kind of return I am getting from Uncle Scam.

in my opinion, you have two options. the first being the best option and buying some high in monitors and treating your room for 1000-2000$ dollars. and the second best option being by some cans for 150$.

and nothing in between? lol

i would guess way more than half the people who post in here work "in between"....no amount of room treatment and expensive gear substitutes experience and that only comes by doing it, learning the tools and how to use the tools

so even if youve got a $50 audio buddy and a pair of computer speakers get cracking...I doubt Ill ever have $2000 worth of room treatment and/or high end monitors an Ill do just fine, like most of us will

just my 0.75 cents (adjusted for inflation)

Treating my "room" is pretty much limited to maybe hanging blankets, and building some portable panels. I live in an apartment, so causing permanent changes to the room are pretty much a no-no. Second my "room" is also a sort of "office" where the computers, printer etc. live. Typically where I lock myself away to do my homework. It is crowded and small. So, I will have to take a more creative approach to "treatment." It certainly cannot be within that $1-2000 range stated above. I don't even have income steady enough to try and save to that point. If I ever get a house though, all of the above conditionals will be off! Also, hoping that within the next few months (post graduation) my financial situation will improve. It better. Sure ain't burning all that money on classes for nothing, right? :P

The only thing that I want to be able to do is make "ok" sounding recordings. In fact, being a little rough wouldn't bother me much at all. I have listened to a lot of good music that didn't have the highest production values. It isn't so much about making it perfect, as it is about making it adequate/listenable. You don't need the "best" for that. Lol. Not saying that good gear isn't great... just saying that at some point, for a home project, I will likely see diminishing returns.

I kinda want a set of KRKs, but I have to wait and see what kind of return I am getting from Uncle Scam.

In the couple of years Ive been doing this Ive replaced just about everything in my chain at least once...without budget gear id have never bothered with this hobby, also this buy cheap by twice is maybe true but just about everything I bought Ive sold on at a small profit...so much for being left with a bunch of paperweights ;)

"without budget gear id have never bothered with this hobby, also this buy cheap by twice is maybe true"
-This holds true for outdoors gear too. Lol.

However, even though most of my stuff is entry level, I can get it to sound pretty good. No two pieces of gear do the same thing. No two mics record the same etc. Also, there are few all arounder tools in my world. You can get close, but there is never a do it all, universal tool app. Lol. So, you can get entry level stuff that lasts a good while. I am ok with this. Entry level doesn't have to mean junk, or substandard. :P

ust my 0.75 cents (adjusted for inflation)

all im saying is that they should go with the best option, which varies on what that persons situation is. ha

i use a mac and headphones because i dont have the money or will to go get the money to treat my room (that i sleep in) so that its efficient. plus im just a novice at all of this anyways. SO i decided the second best option, (mixing with headphones) was the best option, For Me.

.99 cents. because obama is taking all of my money.

Back