monitoring question

mattfunkel

Just wondering if it would be harmless to route the phones jack of my mixer and the phones jack from my firebox to my headphones using a Y cable. The talkback option doesn't work well with my firebox so I need to figure out a different way to monitor what Ive already recorded and what is being sent into my software at the same time. I'm afraid using the Y cable will possibly break my headphone in some way. They are Audio technica ath-m40f if they helps at all. This may be a dumb question but I need help.

Thanks,
Matt

Just wondering if it would be harmless to route the phones jack of my mixer and the phones jack from my firebox to my headphones using a Y cable. The talkback option doesn't work well with my firebox so I need to figure out a different way to monitor what Ive already recorded and what is being sent into my software at the same time. I'm afraid using the Y cable will possibly break my headphone in some way. They are Audio technica ath-m40f if they helps at all. This may be a dumb question but I need help.

Thanks,
Matt

Electrically, each of the headphone jacks will be hearing each other. Is that bad? Idk, that is the question.. Doesn't sound good to me, I'd be leery to try that. What kind of mixer? If you have a 4-bus mixer, you can run your firebox into your mixer, run those 2 channels thru a group so it doesnt enter the main mix, then have your control room outs monitor the group AND the main mix or something..

Otherwise a failsafe thing to do would be to get a small 2nd mixer, run both headphone jacks into it, mix them to taste and monitor with that instead.

Back