Module Question

Whyte Ice

The Next Vanilla Ice
I'm looking into purchasing a sound module soon but not sure which to go for. I'm mainly looking to get something with realistic acoustic and electric piano sounds plus extras. I'm interested in the Kurzweil Micro Piano and the Roland JV1010.

I have a JV1010. I think it's a pretty slick unit. Some of the synth sounds are really cool. Some of the instruments sound a little funky for the really high notes and the really low notes. It's real easy to use. There is an instrument definition for it in Sonar. Midi Quest has a library for it in case you want to edit the user banks on a computer. My unit came with SoundDiver to edit the banks which doesn't seem to work on my Windows XP box but worked my Windows ME box just fine. I don't like the quitars that much. There is one wah guitar that sounds really great and uses the mod wheel for a wah pedal. I haven't found a funky organ sound yet, but I think I can get one if I edit one of them.

I like the piano on the Kurz Micro piaon more than the JV1010.

Kurz has always set the standard for piano sounds. However, I also like Roland gear and the JV1010 is not a bad "low cost" module.

The JV will give you more "synth sounds" than the Kurz, but the kurz will give you the best piano.

I would think the XV2020 would be a better buy than the 1010 since it is based on the never XV synth engine rather than the JV/XP synth engine and its samples are of better quality.

Back