Modern Fender Amps

Telegram Sam

Lt. Bob mentioned in another thread about issues regarding Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amps and how they may predictably fail (and be easily repaired).

I'm thinking about a small, affordable, managable, clean amp that I can use to learn more about pedal tones.

I was looking at the Deluxe Reverb reissue, seems a little flimsy for $1000.
But with a 12" speaker and 22 watts, I think I could prolly use it for jamming with friends.
It's definitely light enough to pack around.

I also like the Princeton Reverb reissue, but it is only 15 watts and has a 10" speaker, seems just a little small for taking out and jamming.
It would likely be perfect for a clean practice amp for home use.

I've owned a vintage PR (loved it) and a vintage Twin Reverb (loved it but too heavy).

So what's the deal?

I've heard guys playing Deluxe Reverbs in small clubs and I was always impressed.Mostly blues and alternative music,nothing heavy tone wise.

Dude, don't you have a Vox? That thing aint clean enough?

Clean, yes, and 65 lbs, I'm reminded; every time I try to get it up out of the basement without smacking my walls and ripping the corners of the fawn Tolex off the birch.
The Marshall Class 5 is small enough, and sounds great through a Greenback cab, but the cleans aren't really what I would call clean.
Plus: 1 Vox, 1 Marshall and 1 Fender can cover a lot of bases. You'll notice I saved the Fender for last. ;)

I'm strong enough to lug 60 lbs easily. I'll trade you my Rat for it. :)

The vintage Rat, the new Rat, or a new Vintage Rat? :cool:
Really, it fails as a living room practice amp.
Well that's not true, at low volume the cleans are not too loud.
Fender cleans sound different though, like a white sheet.

The vintage Rat, the new Rat, or a new Vintage Rat? :cool:
Really, it fails as a living room practice amp.
Well that's not true, at low volume the cleans are not too loud.
Fender cleans sound different though, like a white sheet.

It's hard to find cleans like a Fender clean. The Roland JC120 is pretty goddamn clean.

My Rat is a Vintage Reissue from 1991. It's got the desirable LM308 chip in it.

I've got a Hot Rod Deluxe that I use for practice (leave it at the rehearsal space) and have been thinking about getting a '65 reissue but the price is too high. Apparently there's a guy near where I live the mods all kinds of amps and specializes in Deluxe mods so I'm thinking of having some work done. If I do, I'll let you know what i think. I've also been told of a guy in Florida that will pretty much build you a deluxe knock off, with hand wired custom made cases (and you can get the Fender faceplates too if you want) for less than the Fender Reissue. But then again, I'm a Fender amp guy.

Bill L

I have a 65 Super Reverb reissue. My amp tech hand soldered over all of the joints on the circuit board and says that is where a lot of the failures occur. It hasn't been gigged weekly or anything, but it's been hauled around enough and no problems from it. Are you any good at soldering?

I've also been told of a guy in Florida that will pretty much build you a deluxe knock off, with hand wired custom made cases (and you can get the Fender faceplates too if you want) for less than the Fender Reissue. But then again, I'm a Fender amp guy.

Yeah, I've seen a couple nice PTP Fender clones online, really nice stuff. :thumbs up:

I have a 65 Super Reverb reissue. My amp tech hand soldered over all of the joints on the circuit board and says that is where a lot of the failures occur. It hasn't been gigged weekly or anything, but it's been hauled around enough and no problems from it. Are you any good at soldering?

I can't solder, but I have a friend who might be able to do it.

Back