Mobile Recording Van

What is the best way to do this.

• To track in the van only / bring snake in mix at home

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • To track in the van and mix for quick sale CD after the show.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Bring everything into the venue and do whats in (option 2 )

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Anything missing here add your 2 watts

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

SuperGeek

Want to set up for mobile recording.

I have a Van I can use for this. :cool: Will need a paint job.

Van.jpg

Yes this is the Van I just bought it :eek:

lots of external storage bins. It is the same on both sides :D
for snakes / cables / stands / etc.

will put a inverter and some batteries to run the gear as well as a propane heater in it to.

The real question is is it better to track in the van bring snake into the venue.
or track in the venue.

Then mix at home in the control room or mix in the van after tracking in the van.

Options options :confused:

Last edited:
Use propane and you'll be calling in a different ambulance.

Set up three 20A circuits and pull shore power from the venue -- One for heat, one for gear, one for (lighting and everything else).

In theory, leave the gear and run an isolated splitter. Make sure it's *your* splitter with *your* tails (and obviously, make damn sure they're in good shape or it's *your* a$$). The big things are going to be speed and simplicity. If I were setting up such a rig, I'd get a dozen FMR RNP's and some sort of relatively bullet-proof hard disk system (Alesis & Mackie both used to make rather decent and ridiculously cheap ones, RADAR if money is less of an object and you really want the quality) along with just about any old 32x8x2 for monitoring.

The propane heater is like the type used on RV,s But thanks for the concern :D

I was thinking of HD24 running in parallel with RME octamic pres and a FF-800 with a computer. Two recording devices that way hooked up with light pipe.

I would start with 24 tracks and add them as needed in the future.

Good point on the board was thinking of a Mackie 24x8x2 recording board.

That is a good point use my own cabling and splits. Then I know there taken care of.
Was going to do that.

The point on power makes sense and when its summer run a AC unit roof top mount.
Provided its not to noisy.

The battery and inverter combo was for remote when power sucks :mad:
it would be a 48volt 220amphr battery bank and 3600 watt inverter pure sine wave.
would run for 8 hours at a 1200 watt load.

Batteries would be charged with a 2nd alternator and when plugged into shore power.

Call it silent running mode ;) It would also act as a massive UPS as well. :D just the important equipment tied to it.

Last edited:
No one has input on this ??

Six days not votes and one answer :eek:

I am surprised that no other remarks on this.

Guess everyone likes a cozy studio and does not like to be mobile :rolleyes:

I love it, had the idea myself.. Don't really have the need where i live. I like the dual set up hd24's and computer set up. would you use house direct outs or mic everything yourself? im assuming this would be for live rock/roll shows.

Go to gearslutz and check out the mobile forum if you want some good idears.

Gear stays in the van if possible. Video is a good thing to have, it's nice to be able to see the stage from the van.

I'm too busy seething in jealousy over my own lack of a mobile recording studio to comment. :D

Gear stays in the van if possible. Video is a good thing to have, it's nice to be able to see the stage from the van.

Hell yeah, like a 46" lcd on the wall of the van.. Id even put a window frame around it, for a control room/tracking room feel :D

Saw the poll, didn't vote on it, cuz the answer is totally dependent on what you need. You need cd's immediately after the show? Then mixing at home later isn't an option. If you DONT need a cd immediately, then I'd mix at home, just cuz you can do a better job at home, as your studio probably sounds better acoustically.

Thanks for the link

I know this may not help much but this was kinda neat to read about the red rock series neil young recorded they had a mobile recording van and it talks about how they got the signals from the FOH to the van and all the equipment they used.
http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_neil_young_rocks/

Thanks for the link it will be read. :)

Just going to start with 24 channels for local bar acts to get the bugs worked out. as someone said a video feed would be good as well so i can see what is going on.

I will use a HD24 and a Fireface- 800 with octamic pres so i can use the DAW and use the HD 24 for a back up in case the computer crashes :P

Last edited:
Back