Mixing midi track

ben HP

hi all....
i recently started learning mixing....
but i always see everything are happening on audio....
and as we know we also have some midi track in our host ...
so what we have do on our midi track ???
for example midi tracks needs to be compress???

For the most part, you can treat the MIDI output just as you would a typical analog signal. There are more options with MIDI (rather than compress, you can reduce velocity settings for example), but as a general rule, treat it like an analog signal on the output.

For the most part, you can treat the MIDI output just as you would a typical analog signal. There are more options with MIDI (rather than compress, you can reduce velocity settings for example), but as a general rule, treat it like an analog signal on the output.

i saw alot of mixing video on youtube and they always do mixing on audio....
why they dont mixing with midi ???
if i have midi track i have to convert to audio ???

You don't have to convert your MIDI to audio for mix down, but it's good practice. It can reduce CPU load and minimize any sync issues with a real-time software instrument. Plus you're less likely to want to tweak the performance or the instrument patch (but you still can if you really want to).

Depending on your DAW, you can do a freeze to reduce CPU. It acts like a render, but leaves everything in place.

Why they mix the audio, at the end of the day, that is what really matters. I just suggested you can tweak the MIDI, but you still mix with the VSTi audio out.

If you are confused, for now, mix to the audio output. As you understand things better, you can look into MIDI deeper.

Midi is not audio, it is a protocol (ie data). Therefore it doesn't produce any sound in and of itself. You need a midi instrument to interpret the data which in turn will output audio - that audio is what gets mixed with the other tracks not midi. Not trying to be db but the term "mixing midi" is inaccurate

Exactly^^^^

It doesn't matter what the instrument is, the only thing you will ever hear from it is audio, so you treat the audio, you mix the audio.

Back