Mixing advice

Dr Hoss

It was recommended that I re-post this in this forum, so here we go.

Greetings, Homerecording.com'ers. I've read some threads on this board and found out that you guys seem to have some real smarts among you, and I wanted to help and get help as much as I can. Let's begin in the beginning...

My recording knowledge is fairly slim, but I've been to studios with my band a couple of times and watched/learned as much as I was able while still focusing on the project at hand. Along with hands-on learning, I've tried to read books here and there and pick up tips as often as they present themselves. We did our last demo of 3 songs with just my computer and some mics I borrowed from a friend. I have a Layla 20-bit (not the newer 24-bit version), a Behringer Composer Pro 2-channel compressor, and a 2-channel Sonic Maximizer. Needless to say, I'm not rolling in the dough, so new equipment is OUT. I've been using Cakewalk since about 3.0, so I'm familiar with it. Been using Sonar 2 for the past year or so, and am comfortable with it.

I'm always after new tips and tricks, and I'm always thrilled to get input in any form, so don't pull any punches!

So down to business...here's the 3 song demo I mentioned earlier along with some other songs we did during that recording session. The snare sound sucks, because I think we had some mic placement issues, so try to disregard that...we'll be re-recording some of these in December, again on my home setup. Let me hear what you have to say about the recording, along with any help you can give, and gimme some opinions about the music as well...suggestions are always welcome!

http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/HAGELAZ/

Thanks in advance guys!

Doc Hoss
It was also recommended that I post one song instead of all of them, so check this song called Retch and give me some tips about the mixing and/or recording if you can. Thanks!

PS: if this link doesn't work, click the above link and then Retch mp3 or real, depending on which type you want to stream...the site can be finicky sometimes. Or you can just download the MP3 if that makes it easier on you...

http://artists.iuma.com/site-bin/streammp3.m3u?470380

Last edited:
How do Hoss,
I don't have any tips or tricks, just an opinion. To me, the guitar overwhelmed everything else in places. FWIW
Cause afterall,
what do I know?
Bill

ok, thanks Bill! Never think that your opinion is not valuable to me! Anything is appreciated....even, "Your band sucks, get out of music while you still can!" ;)

Yo Hoss,
I would never say "Your band sucks, get out of music while you still can!" Cause then you could say that to me. And if it wasn't for musicians like me, there'd be nobody to compare the good ones to.
Bill

Reminicent of the Seattle sound of 10 years ago.
Not surprising considering where you live:D
I agree re: the guitar burying the mix.
The level is just a little high and that can be fixed.
I think the writing is top notch and the screeching vocal is well done.
I know I'm old but I'll never figure out HOW you fellas sing like that:D
We are practically neighbours in internet terms:)
Good work fellas

haha, i've asked my singer how he does that, and he just says with a coy smile, "Drink a lot of beer and smoke plenty of cigarettes..." I make him go outside to his car and scream at the steering wheel and smoke a cigarette before we play a gig... ;)

Thanks for the comments HevyD! Keep em comin', fellas!

Back