mixing a vocal mic

Biscuit5

Hi
I am not new to outdoor or club mixing but i am new to recording so my newbi question is what am i listening for when im mixing a vocal mic I have mixed a few originals and posted them on youtube and my groups web site and they sound preety bad any help is welcome here is my website please critique away
http://www.christianartistsinrecovery.com/
Biscuit

It seems that you know what to listen for since you acknowledge that its sounds bad. Good job that is far ahead of most noobs:) The technical ways of correcting this is working on your signal chain for recording. Once that is decent there usually isnt much difficulty mixing in the vocals just knowing your tools and what they do and when you need them.

vocal mixing

the mechanics I use are lap top connected to alesis usb mixer all mics and insts into alesis mixer then to pc i am using cool edit as the program

...they sound preety bad any help is welcome...
i can see (hear) that you are recording really far from sound source. i would personally try to place mics as near as possible to sound sources. this will also reduce echo.
another thing is that i hear you are recording outdoors (wind blowing to the mics)

what mics are you using? how many mics you got? what are you recording exactly (ie. drums, acoustic guitar, two vocals)?

at that time we were using nady mics (iforget what models) and we had 5 of them my guitar was direct as was the drum machine and her keyboard other musician gear was 2 more acoustic guitars but not all playing at the same time, what you should be hearing is my vocal her vocal my acoustic her keyboard. thanks for anything

Russ

i can see (hear) that you are recording really far from sound source. i would personally try to place mics as near as possible to sound sources. this will also reduce echo.
another thing is that i hear you are recording outdoors (wind blowing to the mics)
what mics are you using? how many mics you got? what are you recording exactly (ie. drums, acoustic guitar, two vocals)?

This is what I heard also and is why I was asking how you were recording your songs.
Seidy hit on this right off !
Mic placement is of the most importance. Sometimes you have to listen real good and for a long time (at first) to hear the sound of the source, then how accurately your capturing the source. Takes some practice.

Back