Mix This! Throw That Cat Away

CrowsofFritz

Flamingo!
Hey everyone,

With Jimmy's great help, I can give you all the tracks to my song. I want to hear how you would mix this. I posted this in the mp3 Clinic not to long ago, but here it is again if you haven't heard:

Like Greg, I will choose a winner, but I won't have one; I will have three:

Best Mix - Best objective mix

Favorite Mix - Aptly named. The mix that I find most pleasing

Most Creative Mix - The one who changes the structure of the song the most.

Have fun with it! Cut some tracks [My claps suck]. Record your own. Use it as a sample to your own. Do whatever you want. I'll pick a date sometime soonish.

Here's the tracks: https://www.hightail.com/download/bXBad0VCSU81R1BFdzhUQw

There's 20 of them. :)

I never check out this forum, but I saw your name in here, and lo and behold it's the cat song! I love this one.

I have downloaded the tracks and will see what I can do. Thanks! :)

Awesome!! I was hoping you would mix this one :)

Always nice to still see you around on these forums. I don't come here as often as I used to.

here we go...I've been busy with this one. Great song by the way, it really grows on you! loved the backing vocals and the layering is really nice.

I re-amped all the electric guitars through my fender champion 600 in pentode mode the amp is nothing like a stock one and is very heavily modified to sound like a 1950s original, also used some elysia xpressor 500 hardware compression on the handclaps which really helped to tame them and blended that back in with the dry signal to bring forward the detail whilst adding a more energetic feel, as well as the final mix for some subtle glue.

I cut a lot of the mud out of tracks, so EQ was mostly cutting, with no boosts. I noticed that there was quite a bit of midrange on all the tracks especially at around 300Hz and 1kHz, I also cut out a considerable amount of 600 and 1.3k on the handclaps to remove the flutter echo from the room it was recorded in, there was also gentle HPF on almost every track.

I had fun doing this, hope you like what I have done with the ending, cheers.

Ben.

View attachment 92669

Last edited:
here we go...I've been busy with this one. Great song by the way, it really grows on you!View attachment 92669

Noice, dude, thanks! I'll comment on it when I announce the winners, but I want more people to participate! :D

p.s did you record the acoustic guitars through a compressor?

Interesting ear ya got! I recorded all the tracks through a compressor, but I'm pretty sure I didn't do any compressing. I just like the tone I get from running my stuff through it. Maybe I accidentally set a ratio. Oops. :confused:

Hey, I'm just downloading the tracks now Crow. I liked this song a lot when it was in the clinic and have always wanted to give remixing a whirl.

Whether I'm capable of doing so, and whether I'll get anything together by your cutoff are another matter, but I'll try my best :)

Bump.

I'm going to set a deadline once I get a third track. That'll at least give me enough people to pick three winners :D

So this just happened...

I had a band in studio today. Saw your post here and dood threw down a live drum track for this song.

Gotta finish recording bass tracks but will send it to ya later tonight.

If you like it I will send you all 11 mic tracks separately. Not sure I have time to do much more as far as playing guitar or bass tracks to this song anytime soon but we shall see. :)

So this just happened...

I had a band in studio today. Saw your post here and dood threw down a live drum track for this song.

Gotta finish recording bass tracks but will send it to ya later tonight.

If you like it I will send you all 11 mic tracks separately. Not sure I have time to do much more as far as playing guitar or bass tracks to this song anytime soon but we shall see. :)

Woah.... That's friggen awesome! I can't wait to hear it! :D :D :D

Hey, not trying to do anything but good here. The session drummer in here heard me play Crows' tune while taking a break and offered to play a quick beat on it.

I didn't have time to edit the end just yet and in fact we just played the original mix (via Sundcloud) through his headphones in the drum room and he played this first take. I did could not take the time to import the song files and create a tempo track. Just thought it cool that the guy wanted to throw down on it. :)

We can obviously edit it and do whatever anyone wishes. I have no problem sharing the individual mic tracks with everyone if they care to use and edit accordingly.

Again, I am not sure I have time in the near future to record guitars and bass for an entry, just thought you all might like this for whatever. :D

For f sake, the uploader not working. Hold on...

Back