Mix this: An original called "Second Best"

You know, every once in a while I pop back by to see how people are doing with this, and I'm amazed to see more mixes. Kind of touching really.

I am constantly amazed how many mixes can be created from the same base tracks.

So.. a little feedback for @Miguelo081
Thanks for your input! Do you mean the treble on the whole song? I am still trying to get the best levels for the whole ranges and I wan to certainly improve that.
- I heard your mix, sounds real good too, I think that you did a good job generally, the bass guitar sounds awesome but maybe could be a bit lower sometimes.

Thanks! One of the other things that I can't get right is the snare, is it too high pitched/no punch?
I also heard your mix, but I could not hear the drums, maybe it has a very dynamic range and a bus compress on the whole output could help on that!

Thanks both of you, this will surely help me get better.
I reheard my mix and maybe the vocals are too loud...
Did you ever revisit this with less treble etc... ? I generally liked the mix, but the bias towards top end made it a bit... harsh?

Also at 1:43 ("I'd like to be the one to change the world..."), you corrected my iffy tuning on the word 'one', but you raised it to match the notes before it, when it was meant to be a half step lower.

Someday I will get back to this long enough to give feedback on the other mixes too. Someday....

You know, every once in a while I pop back by to see how people are doing with this, and I'm amazed to see more mixes. Kind of touching really.

I am constantly amazed how many mixes can be created from the same base tracks.

So.. a little feedback for @Miguelo081

Did you ever revisit this with less treble etc... ? I generally liked the mix, but the bias towards top end made it a bit... harsh?

Also at 1:43 ("I'd like to be the one to change the world..."), you corrected my iffy tuning on the word 'one', but you raised it to match the notes before it, when it was meant to be a half step lower.

Someday I will get back to this long enough to give feedback on the other mixes too. Someday....
Thanks for the feedback. After I read this, I looked for the files but they are gone since I had a PC swap, some files were misplaced.
But I do remember this mix, since it was my first, and had a lot of fun and learned a lot.
I did change the tuning on the word one, since it sounded really weird half step lower, maybe those are the decisions to be made so that the song sounds better?
And listeninig to this now I do realize there is too much high end in there, I could try doing a master on the current file.

Hello everyone,

after practicing some mixing of my songs i've come to see are there any materials to practice on. Would be very glad to hear what you have to say about my try of mixing this songs.

Best regards,
Mile

Attachments

• second best mix practice.mp3
    7.8 MB
I gave it a go myself, think I spent an hour on it, had fun with it. My mixes tend to be more toward clear/brightish but not with much of any strong edge. I like it on my HD600 headphones which supposedly are quite linear, but have no clue how it sounds on other systems. Alright, hope to receive a response :)

Attachments

• funnyproject1.mp3
    6.3 MB
Here's an original called "Second Best".

It's about at least doing something, even if you can't do everything.

Demo mix:

Tracks/Stems:

Info:
I don't want to preload too much about it; I'd just like to see where you want to take it. Except...

The 2 vocal tracks are meant to be layered/doubled. But in a few places I only had one good take so that snippet ended up on both tracks. When played together those bits tend to jump out at you, so to help disguise it in the demo mix I inverted the phase on one of the tracks and delayed it by 10 ms. You may know a better way to approach this though. Don't feel you have to use both vocal tracks.

The 2 bass guitar tracks are really just meant to play as one.

Otherwise, have a listen and a mix. Feel free to post work in progress if you'd like feedback as you work.

Thanks, -Mike
Its a nice song, and there are guys here who can advise you how to develop it. Yep there is a bit of Madness the band influence in there and also has the Cheers show feel to it with your singing and lyric 👍

Last edited:
Back