migration from Win 95 and Cakewalk Pro Audio 4.00

daryle_ackerman

Hi All,

I have an old Gateway P-120 with a MOTU Midi Timepiece AV (8 in, 8 out) running Windows 95 and Cakewalk Pro Audio 4.00. I'm not even sure what Cakewalk is now called -- Sonar perhaps? Do they have a program that will be able to support my old .wrk sequences? I suppose they would need to be imported/converted. I'm assuming the latest version of Cakewalk is able to play a MIDI sequence in sync with multitrack audio.

Also, what's the best way to move the megabytes of data from my old Win 95 to a new machine? Would a null modem cable suffice for going from Win 95 to Win XP? I'd hate to have to move all my old sequences by floppy! Also, what's a null modem cable use, serial to serial? How many pins?

I'd really appreciate any help as I'd like to be able to migrate all my old sequences to a new system in which I'll be able to back them up. I'm thinking about getting a Creation Station from Sweetwater as a singular upgrade from my old Gateway Pentium (used for sequencing) and my Fostex VF160 16-bit, 44.1 kHz 16 track multitracker (used for audio).

Daryle

Hello,

I have not used Cakewalk Pro Audio v4 but I certainly am able to import Pro Audio v6 and later tracks into all versions of Sonar -- the 'flaghsip' Cakewalk product that does indeed sync MIDI and multi-track audio.

I would drop a network card into the old PC and I am guessing the new PC would have a network card integrated on the motherboard. Then get a crossover cable, (or a normal network cable + a cross-over adaptor), and connect the two PC's directly. Once you have done that you will be able to transfer files between the two PCs about 1,000 times faster than a null modem cable at 115,200 bps.

I am not familiar with the deal from Sweetwater but with a little bit of tweaking you should be fine with any reputable PC dealer + a reputable sound card manufacturer.

Good luck,

Q.

I would burn all of the sequences to cd..........easy to move and you always have a backup.

daryle_ackerman said:
Hi All,

I have an old Gateway P-120 with a MOTU Midi Timepiece AV (8 in, 8 out) running Windows 95 and Cakewalk Pro Audio 4.00. I'm not even sure what Cakewalk is now called -- Sonar perhaps? Do they have a program that will be able to support my old .wrk sequences? I suppose they would need to be imported/converted. I'm assuming the latest version of Cakewalk is able to play a MIDI sequence in sync with multitrack audio.

There are two products: Cakewalk Home Studio and Sonar. CWHS is cheaper but it cannot lock to SMPTE sources as you want to, so it will have to be Sonar.
Or, you could just stick with Cakewalk Pro Audio.. it should still work.

I personally found an old, shrinkwrapped Sonar 1.0 on ebay, and upgraded it to 1.3 which is perfectly adequate for my needs, and it does import WRK files.. even back as far as V3, I think.

daryle_ackerman said:
Also, what's the best way to move the megabytes of data from my old Win 95 to a new machine?

If it were me, I'd take the hard disk out of the old machine, plug it into the new one and copy the files across that way.

I also use Cakewalk ver 4. I'm currently using it with WinME but I'm very sure it will work with XP. You should be able to install it on your XP machine then, as jpmorris says, take the hard drive out of your old machine, plug it into the new machine and copy your WRK files into your new Cakewalk folder. That should work just fine.

Night Ryder said:
I also use Cakewalk ver 4. I'm currently using it with WinME but I'm very sure it will work with XP. You should be able to install it on your XP machine then, as jpmorris says, take the hard drive out of your old machine, plug it into the new machine and copy your WRK files into your new Cakewalk folder. That should work just fine.
That's how I've always done it. Until I got an external HD, basically the same thing. Get a HD copy program and make a couple of copies for back-up while you're at it. Drive2Drive is what I use. You can buy it off the website.

Back