midrange

panax_27

how important do you think midrange is when monitoring, recording, and mixing compared to other frequencies to achive a good sounding mix?

I think you are thinking about it wrong. All the frequencies need to be represented in a relatively balanced way. Focusing on any one part of the spectrum is not the key to a balanced mix.

I think you are thinking about it wrong. All the frequencies need to be represented in a relatively balanced way. Focusing on any one part of the spectrum is not the key to a balanced mix.
but its most of the frequencies and most of the provlem frequencies though right

how important do you think midrange is when monitoring, recording, and mixing compared to other frequencies to achive a good sounding mix?
Solve all of life's mixing problems by adopting the Purple method ¬> have everything up louder than everything else. 🦻

Mids are everything, it is the only way to balance the low end bass frequencies and high end harsh freqs. Not enough mids and turning down the low end just turns your track into a thin harsh mix that can actually turn out to be quite painful.

I'd rather have plenty of mids and the illusion of a low end by using saturation/low end compression to pin that warmth in place.

so do you think theres muddy sounding music out there these days?
We already saw that "muddy" means different things to different people.

But, to your point, of course there are crappy mixes out there. Probably more than ever, simply because record companies don't invest in productions the way they used to. Since time is money, and there is a small fraction of the money invested, everything is done in a hurry. Production quality suffers.

Back in the day, there were relatively few people mixing the top albums, and they were doing it in well designed rooms with plenty of time to make everything great. That simply doesn't happen as much anymore.

Goes the other way too. Heard this TomKiefer song on the radio. Liked it, got the CD.

Damn! The whole record is bright as hell. On any system I have it’s been ear piercing bright.

Like the record but shitty mixes.

Maybe YT compression and whatever they do on the radio tones it down???

We already saw that "muddy" means different things to different people.

But, to your point, of course there are crappy mixes out there. Probably more than ever, simply because record companies don't invest in productions the way they used to. Since time is money, and there is a small fraction of the money invested, everything is done in a hurry. Production quality suffers.

Back in the day, there were relatively few people mixing the top albums, and they were doing it in well designed rooms with plenty of time to make everything great. That simply doesn't happen as much anymore.
who is your favorite mixer from back in the day?

Probably Bob Rock.

Alan Parsons does really good mixes, but they all have a soft, low impact thing that I don't like.

what kind of monitors do you like for representing the midrange?
NS10s, and with the later revamped NS10M studio version the highs aren’t too bad. No tissue.

But often times I’ll run a bigger pair of speakers at the same time that have good bass in the midfield.
Both on at once. But in the near field, I’m focused on the Yamahas

Last edited:
Back