midi sucks

Ah! I see you obviously don't care about spelling or punctuation, either. That's cool.

I used to surf a lot. I hung out with a bunch of other people that surfed a lot, too. We used to call the boogie-boarders (spongers), and considered them a kind of lower class citizen in the hierarchy of ocean sports. From my experience, and I understand that this isn't absolute, but Midi kids are the musical version of a sponger. They aren't actually good enough to play real instruments so they just fake it.

What about fat nearing-middle age men who are finally buoyant enough to bodysurf? What do you call us? "Fat bastards who are too cheap to spend $5.99 on a boogie board" seems kinda wordy :confused:

Last week there was a day that was practically flat, but this 7yo girl was riding 'em in all the way on what was a longboard for her--I think it was about 5' . . . she is several hundred times cooler than me :o

So what instrumentS do you play?

i play keyboards (but im not proficent with it) and I play drums and I am a pretty good drummer. I do other percussions also. I can play a little guitar I used to have a spanish guitar but I don't really like playing guitar i would much rather emulate it on my keyboard.

i play keyboards (but im not proficent with it) and I play drums and I am a pretty good drummer.

School me.

How will the use of midi improve the process of recording acoustic drums.

I'm asking because I want to know, not because I feel like challenging you right now. If sticking a carrot up my ass while mixing my drum tracks would make the end result better, I'd do it.

School me.

I'm asking because I want to know, not because I feel like challenging you right now. If sticking a carrot up my ass while mixing my drum tracks would make the end result better, I'd do it.

I can already see where this is gonna go:

You- Use triggers.
Me- How?
You- >>A lengthy post with technical terms that I don't understand.
Me- What does >>*** mean?
You- Dude, look it up.
Me- >>No reply. I'll be recording drum tracks the same way I always have.

School me.

it doesnt. i dont know of any acoustic drum kits that even work with midi. However what I am talking about is for people who make music strictly on keyboards or in software using vsti or what have you. Midi is a great tool for that. I make all of my music using an Ensoniq ESQ-1, a roland juno 2, and Reason 3 and arrange in sonar. Midi allows me to edit parts quickly without replaying them and browse through different sound selections on either of my keyboards. Say I dont like a particular note I played and I want to move it up a 5th for whatever reason. I dont have to replay the part I just go into the midi editor in my software and change the note there. I mix my music using a bcf2000 midi mixer. So now instead of moving pans and faders with my mouse I can use my bcf and have that real mixer feel and it communicates with the computer strictly via midi. Midi is an excellent tool for those of us who choose to use it and learn it. It isn't the easy button and it won't make your music good if you aren't good to begin with. However it will give you tools that will make making your music a lot easier providing that you are using a midi instrument. Think of it as a band replacement

However what I am talking about is for people who make music strictly on keyboards or in software using vsti or what have you.

Those are the spongers I was talking about. :p

I'm kidding.

I guess I just haven't been given an example of how midi would benefit any part of my recording process. I record real instruments into Logic. Tracks can be edited, overdubbed, arrangements can be altered, etc.

I don't want or need to record a drum, guitar, bass, or percussion part with a keyboard. I suppose if I could figure out how to configure my crappy Casio to record into Logic, I could take advantage of the tools available within the program. I've tried, and failed, somewhere near assigning channels or something.

I'm kidding.

I guess I just haven't been given an example of how midi would benefit any part of my recording process. I record real instruments into Logic. Tracks can be edited, overdubbed, arrangements can be altered, etc.

I don't want or need to record a drum, guitar, bass, or percussion part with a keyboard. I suppose if I could figure out how to configure my crappy Casio to record into Logic, I could take advantage of the tools available within the program. I've tried, and failed, somewhere near assigning channels or something.
with the tools available today i wouldnt record any percussions from a keyboard unless you really liked working that way. I don't know of your recording process or what you use to record to be able to help you out with how midi will help you. What do you play? Midi is mainly a keyboard tool but its basically remote data. The same way your remote works for your tv midi sends signals to gear in the same fashion. I can work without midi I just prefer to work with it.

I'm kidding.

To some extent MIDI has been superseded by advances in DSP technology. 20 years ago, without beat detective, quantization, drumagog, etc., etc., etc. MIDI was the only way to pull off some of that stuff. Of course if you were always able to play and record the instruments that synths emulated (and not too well back then), you didn't need it.

Before broadband and mp3s became common, sharing tunes via MIDI over dialup was much more efficient--and if you had a really good synth, you didn't have to listen to playback over crappy GM patchs.

So what you are left with is MIDI as a data transmission protocol, and it's handy for that because of the massive installed base of hardware. That is most useful if you are working under time constraints. A live show where you need to control lots of hardware synths, effects, etc. is a good example. A control surface is another example.

But if time is not an issue, and you are recording acoustic instruments and using synths like an acoustic instrument, there is little benefit. Really at that point you might be left with plugging keyboard controller into your MIDI port just to trigger softsynths . . . if you use softsynths. That is so transparent that even I could figure that out :o

What do you play?

I'll usually write a song on guitar then record a scratch track and a click into Logic, via a Tascam tm-d1000(*see below)> an RME HDSP 9652. Then I record acoustic drums through the mixer into the computer. Ditch the scratch guit track, re-record all guitar parts, do the bass track, percussion, and vocals, and ocassionally a keyboard part. I have a crappy Casio CTK-601, but it is midi capable. I'd like to use it as a softsynth controller, but I've never been able to get it hooked up and working. It's been awhile, but I think I got confused at channel assignments AND getting it to actually control one of the synths in Logic.

*I actually downloaded and installed the snapshots available for the tm-d1000. That is my only midi success story.:D

*I actually downloaded and installed the snapshots available for the tm-d1000. That is my only midi success story.:D

This isn't accurate. I remember controlling the Logic mixer from the tm-d faders via midi, I just didn't see the benefit of it because I assigned each individual track in the Logic mixer to a channel on the tm-d, which gave me the onboard effects.

I'll usually write a song on guitar then record a scratch track and a click into Logic, via a Tascam tm-d1000(*see below)> an RME HDSP 9652. Then I record acoustic drums through the mixer into the computer. Ditch the scratch guit track, re-record all guitar parts, do the bass track, percussion, and vocals, and ocassionally a keyboard part. I have a crappy Casio CTK-601, but it is midi capable. I'd like to use it as a softsynth controller, but I've never been able to get it hooked up and working. It's been awhile, but I think I got confused at channel assignments AND getting it to actually control one of the synths in Logic.

midi wouldn't be very helpful for you. however getting a midi controller or even a cheap vintage synth wouldn't be bad for you. Of course soft synths give you more options but I like the sound of hard synths a lot more. Also your Casio would work as a controller via midi. just turn the volume down and start recording your parts with soft synths just like you would any other midi controller.

Of course soft synths give you more options but I like the sound of hard synths a lot more.

I WILL own a Clavinet D6 before I die. It is by far my favorite sounding instrument.

just like you would any other midi controller.

Uh, I have never used "any other midi controller".

I'll get it hooked up and post in the midi forum after I get pissed off at it like 3 minutes into trying to figure it out.

I WILL own a Clavinet D6 before I die. It is by far my favorite sounding instrument.

Uh, I have never used "any other midi controller".

I'll get it hooked up and post in the midi forum after I get pissed off at it like 3 minutes into trying to figure it out.

you have been using your casio as a midi controller essentially. if ur recording parts to the pc and have it connected to the computer using midi and audio. only difference is that when u record to the pc with a soft synth you wont need the audio cables.

Not true. I connect it with audio cables, run it through a wah pedal, a POD, or anything else that will make it less painful to listen to, and record the audio into Logic.

No midi involved.

ok i misunderstood im sleepy thats my excuse and im sticking with it

Willis, there's something we, and thousands of others, have in common...my family has also spent many an enjoyable afternoon bonding over the discussion of DOS.

Back