MIDI input issues in Cubase LE

Serendipity Records

Hi all,

I'm not a big Cubase man but today I found myself in need of a means for recording my keyboard via MIDI.

I have a USB MIDI from my keyboard into my MacBook Pro and the signal is getting to Cubase fine (there's a meter at the bottom right corner that clearly shows it gets the signal), however only a few keys actually do anything in my VSTi of choice AND these keys happen to be the "chord pads" within the app, effectively limiting my recording to chord presets. Is there any way to input the full keyboard range and play non-chords??

Thanks!

SR

You'll need to show us a few screenshots or explain a bit more - what is your vsti and is it one with an keyboard at the bottom so you can see? If the keyboard is sending and cubase receiving, then try something like a piano or organ and check they work. if they do, then it';s a specific instrument problem - maybe with keyboard mapping of some kind so instead of sound, a key is set to be a keyswitch? We just don't know as you sort of posted "my car won't start, I know it's got a full tank?"

Thanks @rob aylestone, I admit I was somewhat frustrated and therefore quite unclear. As far as a more detailed explanation...

The specific instrument I'm using is an EP VSTi, "Sweetcase" by NoiseAsh Audio. Screenshot:

Screen Shot 2023-11-07 at 7.32.17 PM.png

The keyboard you see on the UI is just for show, it doesn't react to input etc (I've used it in other apps before). Just for reference, I've tried with a couple other VSTis, and it's the same issue.

This screenshot shows the main Cubase window; if you look in the bottom right corner, you can see a meter displaying MIDI input (I'm pressing a key as of the screenshot being taken).

Screen Shot 2023-11-07 at 7.29.31 PM.png

And this screenshot shows the chord pads -- I programmed a random chord to the one pad, and as of the screenshot being captured, I'm pressing on C#1, causing the chord to be played by the VSTi:

Screen Shot 2023-11-07 at 7.30.04 PM.png

Let me know if there's any further clarification needed! Thanks!

Hmmmm I thought at first maybe incomplete loading of the samples, but if the same thing happens on other VSTis that fails. I guess the first thing I would do is double check what the keyboard is sending by hitting record and seeing if the notes are actually being recorded. You don’t have a list editor but the piano roll style editor lets you see what you record. Try the pitch bend and mod wheels and volume faders too and check they are being recorded, and of course check there is not someth8ng weird in the midi filter. I’m not sure what you have in the menus as I have a different cubase version, but in the past I’ve been caught out by wierd filters. Designed to allow you to prevent certain incoming data mess things up, you could have filters applied. if you don’t see anything, feel free to record a few things on a range of keys and let me have the cpr file and I’ll load it into 13pro and see if I can see anything in the editors I have that might help? If you send me a file that is silent on yours, and it plays on mine the. We know it’s a replay problem. Pick a sound on one of the instruments that cubase bundles. Sonic se or something. If yours is missing notes but plays on mine, it’s a replay thing if I get the missing notes it’s your keyboard. Happy to help if I can.

I updated to Cubase 13 (may have been an OS issue?), and will try again in the next couple days (it takes some time to set up the rig). Will let you know if the problem persists!

Back