mics that can work well in any situation

SAMTheGreat

Ive found myself recording in many places , a kitchen , garage etc .

And i just wabted to knoe if you guys know of any mics that can do good in any type of environment
That you can achieve a decent to great mix.in

I don't think the mic determines how good the mix is. I've heard great things from an $80 Samson and crap from a $2000 Blue. Spend a hundred and get a 57. Can't go wrong with that considering what you're doing.

...or an SM58 if you're mainly interested in recording vocals. The built-in pop filter and low handling noise could be an advantage.
Dags

I set myself up to do a three day festival two summers ago with nothing but a dozen or so Shure SM57s.

Wasn't the best and certainly far from bad but, they worked on every instrument, amp and vocal that came across that stage. :thumbs up:

I set myself up to do a three day festival two summers ago with nothing but a dozen or so Shure SM57s.

Wasn't the best and certainly far from bad but, they worked on every instrument, amp and vocal that came across that stage. :thumbs up:

Time tested, proven solution. Prez of USA uses a pair.

Time tested, proven solution. Prez of USA uses a pair.

Last Prez race here in N.H. while I was setting up for a speech one of the advance team members said that with the SM57 duel set up *That's how we roll* :D
One is always on while the other is a back up in case of failure ..... Never once in the 30+ years of doing this have I had to go to the back up 57.

Ive found myself recording in many places , a kitchen , garage etc .

And i just wabted to knoe if you guys know of any mics that can do good in any type of environment
That you can achieve a decent to great mix.in

Your mic isn't going to fix your environment. If you're in a garage, an excellent condenser mic is going to do an excellent job of making you sound like you're in a garage which you may or may not want. It won't make you sound like you're in your living room or a recording booth. A directional dynamic mic similar to an SM57/58 will pick up less of the environment, it won't sound like a condenser.

The mic is only part of the equation. You have to make some effort to make or find a good environment.

I usually wind up sticking to a 57 or a 121 on guitar cabinets, for vocals and acoustic instruments a Mojave MA200 or a MA201fet sound great. Of course your room acoustics and mic pre play a major role too.

It's the preamp that's on what ever console that is being used ... In my case ... it has been a Midas console.

Sorry to divert the topic back to the POTUS, but I only just noticed this and was interested. I've done a few Presidential things when he visited the UK and they operated a bit differently.

For the things I worked on, White House Radio ran the mics to a cheap and nasty Shure portable mixer and then into a bank of active splitters to give line level feeds to the assembled masses. The last I worked on (Carter at Warwick University with Tony Blair in a big theatre) even insisted that the FOH mix, done on a big DDA console had to take one of their splits. For this one I was in a broadcast mobile doing the pool feed to networks and the net.

Darn noisy and one of their banks of splitters failed mid speech so maybe that's why you run into your own Midas now!

Back