Microohones for recording drums

ex351d

I was considering to use a 4 microphone method to record drums. I have an AKG D112 for base drum, a Shure SM57 for snare drum and a sE Electronics X1 condenser as a center overhead microphone above the snare drum. If I get a ribbon microphone such as sE X1R and place it above the floor tom as an overhead, would I get a nice sound having a condenser and a ribbon microphone instead of a matched pair of either type for overheads? If this would work for drums I believe I would find the ribbon more useful for other instruments but first I need to get a decent drum sound.

This is where you enter into the arena of "Artistic Influence". It can be debated that there really is not a "wrong" way to mic anything (within reason) It comes down to what are you trying to accomplish ? Have you achieved a balance of the kit with whatever method/position you come up with ? then you did it right. It has been proven over time that there are an infinite number of possibilities when it comes to mic'ing. You just need to start working with the gear you have, hear the results, and adjust to taste. Then you'll get bored and change it all up.

Back