micing ######## vocals

slfclash77

i recorded like 2 songs for my band just so we could play this one gig and i recorded the screaming/yelling with a shure 58, i had the singers mouth like a foot away from the mic and didnt come out too well. anyone got some tips on placement, compression things like that?

He doesn't have to sing that far away with a dynamic, there's very little, if any, noticeable proximity. Set comp at quick attack , slow release and 3/1 ratio

Big Kenny said:
He doesn't have to sing that far away with a dynamic, there's very little, if any, noticeable proximity. Set comp at quick attack , slow release and 3/1 ratio

I'm confused . . . are you saying the 58 has no proximity effect? At 12" it doesn't but at 1", it certainly does.

I don't like the 58 for screaming because you can't get a good sound without the proximity, and then you tend to get breath pops unless the singer is fastidious about addressing the mic properly . . . tough to do when screaming. At least get a pop filter and place about 2-3" from the mic, and a little below center, mic aimed slightly down.. You could also remove the ball for this application (although also see our exciting thread on 57s vs 58s and their potential for destruction).

I have a friend who recorded screaming vocals through higher quality dynamic mics like the EV RE20 and the Shure SM7. These produced very good results.

Originally Posted by Big Kenny
He doesn't have to sing that far away with a dynamic, there's very little, if any, noticeable proximity.
I meant at 12", The pop filter is a good thought though

AT3035 has worked well in screaming position for me. I bet a 57 or 58 would rock in many cases.

War

Back