Mic Windscreen...

Robert27191

....how necessary are they?

I mainly record vocals, and have never used one. However, I performed at a concert last weekend and the two mics I used both had windscreens on the top. I am convinced they had clearer sound and I was able to use them much closer to my mouth with comfort than I have done before.

What is the difference between a windscreen and a pop shield?

People's thoughts?

Many thanks,

Robert

Pop screens are usually nylon stretched over a hoop or metal screens placed between the singer and mic.
Windscreens are foam or furr based and cover the entire grill . Like you see news reporters have.

In a studio application pop screens are more common.
In outside broadcast/concert windscreens are more common.
I hope this helps
Rich

Edit. Welcome to the forum.

A pop screen is used to minimize "plosives"- P's, B's ans T's that come across as a large pop when recorded. Wind screens will diffuse the "wind" of your breath blowing across the mic capsule. Two devices to help with two different problems. Depending on the vocalist, they could be used together. Try one or both or neither and see what works.

That being the case, is it useful to have a windscreen purely for studio recording? Should it make any difference with how the mic picks up the sound, or the extent to which the singer can perform right on top of it?

That being the case, is it useful to have a windscreen purely for studio recording? Should it make any difference with how the mic picks up the sound, or the extent to which the singer can perform right on top of it?

You don't need a windscreen in the studio as there is normally no wind (unless you have a badly designed aircon).

But you *do* need to stop the plosives.

A pop filter is needed to do this. The best ones are the ones with an open-cell foam disk as these do not colour the sound. The nylon fabric ones are effective, but can colour the sound at higher frequencies. The metal ones don't have this colouration but can have different audible effects.

Back