Mic Stands

goldie

Where can I find good but inexpensive mic stands? I need one for vocals, snare, bass and overheads.

JoeyPazera said:
on musicians friend there is a pack for 6 onstage mic stands for 99 bucks and thats about the best deal your gonna get for stands. i own 3 of em and there pretty nice also!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live/Sound/Parts/Accessories?sku=452062

-Joey

In my experience the Onstage stuff is wimpy. I know you may not be thinking about something that will hold up and will last, but get something sturdy, and something with balls for god sakes. My onstage stands broke faster than the musicians friend brand! I say go with Tama, or see what you can get on ebay, the extra money IS DEFINITELY worth it in this case.

Ben

goldie said:
Where can I find good but inexpensive mic stands? I need one for vocals, snare, bass and overheads.

Check out some small music store or somewhere you may have bargaining abilities, I bought three no name mic stands for $75 bucks, they were 35 plus tax regular, I told the guy afterwards I wanted two, then three and he just kept cutting the price back. It's better to go in person if you want cheap ones so you can feel them out and see if they're wobbly...

random.hero said:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live/Sound/Microphones/Wireless?sku=277031

its a mic, cord, clip, and stand for 20 bucks...

shit quality, but come on... thats cheap

I bought one of Nady's stands once. It arrived broken. The seller sent a replacement. I glued the old one back together and had two. At $10, it's an okay deal. At $20, it's overpriced. The words "piece of [expletive deleted]" come to mind.

They have trouble holding up Nady CM-90 pencil condensers at full extension. Not only do the locked boom arms still rotate over time, but also the verticals sag under the weight.

The On Stage, Nady, and MF stands appear to be sourced from the same factory (or very similarly by different factories), though there are some very slight construction differences.

Don't settle for less than a Tama. Here's a picture of one of mine:

IMG_5017.JPG

Yes, it's really holding two cymbals and a tom.

In the background is one of the Nady stands sagging under the 4.3 ounce weight of a CM-90 and an ultra-light, ultra-thin cable....

That's the difference between a 1" outer/.75" inner tube (Tama) and a .75" outer/.5" inner (Nady) stand.

The 10 pack for $99 from the MF was the best deal I could find, the free shipping was nice too. The stands themselves are decent, no problems so far.

dgatwood said:
I bought one of Nady's stands once. It arrived broken. The seller sent a replacement. I glued the old one back together and had two. At $10, it's an okay deal. At $20, it's overpriced. The words "piece of [expletive deleted]" come to mind.

They have trouble holding up Nady CM-90 pencil condensers at full extension. Not only do the locked boom arms still rotate over time, but also the verticals sag under the weight.

The On Stage, Nady, and MF stands appear to be sourced from the same factory (or very similarly by different factories), though there are some very slight construction differences.

IMG_5017.JPG

In the background is one of the Nady stands sagging under the 4.3 ounce weight of a CM-90 and an ultra-light, ultra-thin cable....

That's the difference between a 1" outer/.75" inner tube (Tama) and a .75" outer/.5" inner (Nady) stand.

im diggin that mantle! :D

dgatwood said:
I bought one of Nady's stands once ... They have trouble holding up Nady CM-90 pencil condensers at full extension.
That sounds like a very useful mic stand! *LOL

I bought a dozen OnStage stands. The carry bags are a better value than the stands.

If used with complete adult supervision, the OnStage are OK. They are fragile otherwise, and the clutches do a poor job of holding the boom in place.

I lucked into a Tama stand, and am actively searching for more. These are built like tanks, and the clutches are fabulous. At retail, they are more expensive, but worth every penny if you are mobile, or the stands are for band use.

breeeeza said:
onstage i just gaffa tape them to the floor so they dont move or tip up.

If your on a budget go with onstage... I got that $99 two years ago... I still have all my stands in mint condition. They definitely are shitty, but if you just treat them good they will suffice. Do what you gotta do to keep them in place cuz I sure as hell know they don't, the boom are flys around like a motherfucker. Don't expect to be angling it all crazy either, just make sure to disperse the weight as good as possible over the legs. I use two onstage stands, extended to 10 feet in the air with minimal wobbling for my drum OH's. It can be done.

dgatwood said:

IMG_5017.JPG

Pearl cymbals?
you can do better dude, but i am totally diggin the mantle;)

random.hero said:
Pearl cymbals?
you can do better dude, but i am totally diggin the mantle;)

Heh. The Pearl cymbal was a "I need a single cymbal for some tracks and don't have a kit and don't know any better" purchase. When I got my kit, I did some research into various brands and ended up buying a set of Pulse 357 (a special batch made for MF that used the Paiste M63 formulation). In that series, I have a 20" ride, 18" and 16" crashes, and some so-so 14" hats that are a little too dark for hats, but I digress.

I was shocked at how much better the 357s sounded than the Pearl. I always wondered why (when doing a suspended cymbal roll) I had to EQ the crap out of the Pearl cymbal to keep from hearing certain frequencies jumping out in an almost tonal fashion.... The Pearl does get used, though, as it has a different pitch than the 18" Paiste 357, and when thoroughly buried in a series of crashes (in successively higher or lower pitch), it doesn't sound too bad.... :D

I also have a Wuhan 14" China, a Pearl 10" splash (tin can), and an 8" Saluda Mist splash (slightly trashy tin can). Don't use any of them much, but they have their place....

Yes, I like cymbals. For me, it's all about quantity, not quality. :)

Back