Mic stands - any advice on brand, where to look?

dbeanerz

I'm going to be recording acoustic guitar and vocals mostly...

All the stands I've ever gotten from SamAsh, have pretty much folded.
So I'm looking for reccomendations, as I can't seem to find a better
place to ask this type of question.

Thanks, the forums never stop helping us kids with a passion.

How much are you willing to spend? There's a couple types of stands you can consider - sounds like you have had some experience with the cheaper type that are between 20 and 35 bucks: http://www.music123.com/Quik-Lok-Tripod-Boom-Mic-Stand-i241877.music

Then there's some of the more serious Studio stands that can run as much as 100 or 150 bucks: http://www.music123.com/Quik-Lok-A50-Studio-Boom-Mic-Stand-w-Casters-i87045.music

I get by with the cheaper stands... If they fold they're easily replaced...

Jacob

The best mic stands I've ever used are made by Tama (the drum compamy). They're very solid, have the best clutch on the boom part I've ever used. I bought two to try them out. I'm going to get two or three more.

Track Rat said:
The best mic stands I've ever used are made by Tama (the drum compamy). They're very solid, have the best clutch on the boom part I've ever used. I bought two to try them out. I'm going to get two or three more.

Who carries Tama Mic Stands? I'd like to get a couple to try them out. Thanks for any help. :)

Track Rat said:

I have 2 of those. They are very nice.

Track Rat said:
Absolutely!

I have a herd of OnStage stands and they are cheap junk.

I scored a single Tama from eBay for $9 and it is the Godzilla of stands. I keep looking for more, but they never appear.

Not all On Stage stands suck, just the cheap ones. Check Musician's Friend for On Stage SB96+ (plus). It is a truly heavy duty stand that extends to over 10 feet, will not tip over, has a toothed gear cam at the boom attachment point, and costs $80. I've had two of them for 3 years without any kind of problem.-Richie

Back