Mic and Preamp for under $200 or USB Mic?

vignesh1230

Mic and Interface for under $200 or USB Mic?

Im really new to this stuff, and i really dont know whats needed in a setup for a vocalist. I dont have much money to spend but id like it to last me a reasonable amount of time.

Im thinking of either getting a AKG Perception 120 USB, AT2020 USB mic.

Not really sure about what i would need for a setup that involves an XLR mic. Im not too fussed about having a jack to plug headphones into the mic.. But would probably just be a bonus(not sure)

I actually have a dynamic mic, but i tried plugging it straight into my computer with the supplied XLR to 3/4 Mono adapter cable, but the signal is really weak, and if i amplify it i get alot of noise but just a tiny amount of actual audio (Only like bass hits). Dont know if i need some kind of phantom power source.

Id really like some help. I would like to go for a XLR setup but have no idea how to go about it.

Last edited:
hi

Hi vignesh!
You seem to be an Indian !

Just to let you know I was at same stage a year before !
Well so I thought of helping you out because at my time, I spent huge time while searching for setup.

firstly, You dont need a preamp... You need interface.
I have scarlett 2i2 ..... (bought it for 108$ via ebay). never got disappointed with it.

Then you need a microphone.... best recommendation would be Shure sm58. Dont ever bring a idea in your mind that Condenser mics are better than dynamic. they just are more sensitive and u would need soundproof room. Other than that ... there is no difference. Other startup mic recommendation would be at2020 or at2035 ! ( I have at2035 ... i use it for Voice overs .. its little on brighter side so It doesn't suit my voice) but as far as mic is concerned its really good.

setup info : you can plug scarlett to computer via usb cable ( comes with interface) . Then you can join you Dynamic mic cable (xlr) into scarlett interface.
You are good to go .

Best of luck .

Haha yes i am an indian :)

Ah so an interface. Alright makes sense. How did you manage to get it for so cheap? I can only find it for $150+

I was actually planning on building myself a small soundproof room/box type thing haha.

Are there any alright interfaces for cheaper? Like an entry level type one i guess. Ideally, i only want to spend $150 on both the interface and mic.

Why do people dislike USB mics anyway? For example like the AT2020 USB version, isnt it just the same mic with an inbuilt interface?

Hi vignesh!
You seem to be an Indian !

Just to let you know I was at same stage a year before !
Well so I thought of helping you out because at my time, I spent huge time while searching for setup.

firstly, You dont need a preamp... You need interface.
I have scarlett 2i2 ..... (bought it for 108$ via ebay). never got disappointed with it.

Then you need a microphone.... best recommendation would be Shure sm58. Dont ever bring a idea in your mind that Condenser mics are better than dynamic. they just are more sensitive and u would need soundproof room. Other than that ... there is no difference. Other startup mic recommendation would be at2020 or at2035 ! ( I have at2035 ... i use it for Voice overs .. its little on brighter side so It doesn't suit my voice) but as far as mic is concerned its really good.

setup info : you can plug scarlett to computer via usb cable ( comes with interface) . Then you can join you Dynamic mic cable (xlr) into scarlett interface.
You are good to go .

Best of luck .

Er, you do know that your AT2035 is a condenser microphone don't you?

To say there's no difference between dynamic and condenser mics is simply incorrect. Condensers give more crisp, clear, natural sound while dynamics tend to be warmer but less detailed. Dynamics also tend to have a much lower output level, requiring an interface/pre amp with more clean gain to avoid noise. There's no right or wrong but you can certainly use a condenser in a room without soundproofing--or you can use an SM58 (which is primarily a live PA mic) in a studio situation but with a lessened frequency response.

Do think about the headphone monitor socket on either a USB mic or an interface. You need to be able to let your vocalist hear a mixture of the pre recording music tracks on the computer and their own voice. This can be done via the computer but this generally adds latency (delay) which can make it awkward for the vocalist to get their timing right. The recommended Scarlett interface has a switch to go between playback and live but doesn't seem to allow a mix. Many interfaces have the direct monitor feature but with a knob to provide a mix between playback and live--much more useful.

I'll avoid recommending specific mics and interfaces because, after a lot of back and forth with another home recordist in India, I realised that prices are very different there. However, things to watch for in an interface are the sort of direct monitoring with a mix knob already mentioned, ASIO (not MME) drivers and, of course, the right number of mic and line inputs.

Er, you do know that your AT2035 is a condenser microphone don't you?

To say there's no difference between dynamic and condenser mics is simply incorrect. Condensers give more crisp, clear, natural sound while dynamics tend to be warmer but less detailed. Dynamics also tend to have a much lower output level, requiring an interface/pre amp with more clean gain to avoid noise. There's no right or wrong but you can certainly use a condenser in a room without soundproofing--or you can use an SM58 (which is primarily a live PA mic) in a studio situation but with a lessened frequency response.

Well this reply goes for Mic above 300 to 400$, Which off-course I know a Indian cant afford for Home studio.
Dynamic mics are warmer! True only in some cases. For me, Sennheiser e835S Sounds much more detailed then my at2035.

@sker !
mate I got my scarlett shipped to some of my relative in America, and they brought it back to india. (it saved my nearly 40% of the custom cost)
Secondly listed price of AT2035 was 119 on amazon at that time. I contacted saptaswara and bargained for the price. They offered my very genuine price of appx 8000 rs along with free shipping.

About USB MICROPHONE:-
Once you have Usb microphone, You will be out of options to buy new microphone. You wont be able to upgrade your gears which will suck in near future. Other than that hissing would be always be a problem in usb microphones.
But still if You are tight on budget, you surely can look for USB microphones! I have heard good things about AT2020.

My Recommendation: -
My recommendation would be To buy a good interface! Then you can try out ahuja mics at Local indian market. Those mics are quite good for start up. If still not satisfied, You can buy AT2020 from saptaswara. Bargain with them to get it around 5000rs.

and not to mention ^^ above recommendation is from a Voice over artist.
I dont have much knowledge about mixing!
So please look out for replies from experienced people here. They all are very helpful. :)

That does it!

Am going into the black market trade of selling microphones at a reasonable price in India.

Ah. Right. I believe I may have forgotten to say something. I may be indian but Im living in Melbourne, Australia and i will be the vocalist as well.

I decided to stay away from USB microphones after some searching for interfaces and mics and such on the net. What do you guys think of this combination?

Either the
MXL V67G Large Capsule Condenser Microphone
or
MXL 770 Cardioid Condenser Microphone
or
Using the Dynamic Microphone i already own( but still being open to buying a new one) - Dont reallly want to but good to have a condenser ANd a dynamic

and for the interface
Behringer 302USB Premium 5-Input Mixer with XENYX Mic Preamp and USB/Audio Interface - Leaning towards this more haha
or
Pyle-Pro PAD10MXU 2 Channel Mini Mixer With USB Audio Interface

That all seems to come perfectly in my budget. This is all being paid by me working haha
Dont really have too much money being 16 ahah

Your a smart lad staying away from the USB microphones.

Look around for some used Rode microphones seeing that you live in OZ.

Atr 2100?

Might look at the Audio Technica ATR 2100 this mic has both USB and XLR with a head phone jack and volume control. It works great for me with spoken word. Lots of podcasters tout it as good as $300 counter parts. $36 on Amazon,

Then I use the Zoom H4N to record into. My experience with recording directly into PC is noise and not a good experience. The Zoom is around $269 at Amazon,

Once you have your recording, you can use post processing with Audacity (Free) or other audio programs.
John Hames

Im really new to this stuff, and i really dont know whats needed in a setup for a vocalist. I dont have much money to spend but id like it to last me a reasonable amount of time.

Im thinking of either getting a AKG Perception 120 USB, AT2020 USB mic.

Not really sure about what i would need for a setup that involves an XLR mic. Im not too fussed about having a jack to plug headphones into the mic.. But would probably just be a bonus(not sure)

I actually have a dynamic mic, but i tried plugging it straight into my computer with the supplied XLR to 3/4 Mono adapter cable, but the signal is really weak, and if i amplify it i get alot of noise but just a tiny amount of actual audio (Only like bass hits). Dont know if i need some kind of phantom power source.

Id really like some help. I would like to go for a XLR setup but have no idea how to go about it.

That does it!

Am going into the black market trade of selling microphones at a reasonable price in India.

If you can save me custom charges ! I will be your buyer for lifetime :thumbs up:

@ vignesh!
Then I Think you should Try out the microphones in local studio.

Alright, so from what i can see... The Audio interfaces are cheaper online... So are the mics... So is everything else Lol.

Does anyone have any experience with the Behringer Xenyx Q502USB USB Audio Mixer?
I keep getting conflicting information about the voltage of the phantom power. I dont know if its because of the 2 different models or something but yeah.
Some say its +15v some say its +48v.. I have no idea

The proper spec for phantom power is 48V. However, many mics will work okay on less than that--but I'd avoid an interface that has skimped on the voltage. Eventually you'll want a mic that is fussy and wants the full 48V.

Edited to add: From Behringer's own site, the phantom power is only 15V. See PAGE 6 HERE.

I'd avoid that one. There are lots of better interfaces out there. In fact, MOST of them are better than that...

The problem with what i see is that the Xenyx502 supplies 48v tested, but the Xenyx502USB has an untested voltage.
Basically I want an interface for less than $60 AUD

For your budget I suspect your best bet will be eBay rather than some cheap and nasty new--and that Behringer is cheap and nasty. If you look at the page I linked you'll see that the 502 is rated at 15V phantom...all the others in the range are 48. I'm guessing here but I suspect it's because it runs off USB bus power--I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.

Just having a quick look, from eBay you could get a new MXL V67G and a used Tascam US 122 interface for well within your budget--there are other options there as well. Those would stand you in good stead compared to a $60 interface built to a budget.

Back