MF Stupid Deal of the Day - MXL 990XL Condenser Microphone for $100

Problem is, just a few weeks ago (4-6?) they had the 990/991 combo for $99. Saw that deal this AM and wondered why that was a deal.
Combo is now running $150, but you can pick them up used for $70-80...

The 990XL is an actual large diaphragm condenser. The 990 has a smaller diaphragm, and I guess would be called a medium diaphragm? I think that I got my 990 for about $60 on sale at MF.com 10 years ago. Man they must've bought a crap load of those mics!

The 990XL usually goes for $200. I've never heard one before, I'd be curious how it stacks up. The 990 isn't all that great, but compared to other $60 condensers it's not bad at all.

Problem is, just a few weeks ago (4-6?) they had the 990/991 combo for $99. Saw that deal this AM and wondered why that was a deal.
Combo is now running $150, but you can pick them up used for $70-80...

The 990/991 package has been offered as low as $50 by both GC and MF (although not recently). I am not a fan of the 990; the 991 is ok by me. The 990XL is probably not very similar to the 990---looks like a very different capsule, but one that MXL might be using in a bunch of its other 32mm-capsuled mics. Who knows?

Does anyone have any insight into the confusing S/N v. Self-Noise specs that MXL is publishing? Is "Equivalent Noise Level" a run-around of "Self-Noise" level?

Paj
8^?

Ah. I see my error. I have the MXL 2001 and it is a very nice mic for $200 bracket (got mine on a similar deal about 8 years ago for $50 at Guitar Center in Spokane.) Now just the shock mount for it runs $35...

Eh... I was pretty disappointed with my 990. It pooped out after just a few dozen hours recording time.

That is to say, I was disappointed enough with the 990 that I'm wary of the 990XL

Last edited:
Back