Metal song with orchestral

hollowmanpl

Here's a part of song I've been working for a while. Guitars/bass/drums are live recorded by me. No samples.
Tell me what do you think about this sound (too much low end, lower mids?), does strings sound really amateur and fake? :)

cheers guys and thanks for your time!

ooooooooOOOOoooooo ! that sounds big :D

strings are bang on for the genre ... lead guitars a lil quiet an maybe its pans a lil narrow in focus ... but this will without doubt give the metalheads a stiffy :D

i suspect you buried the lead cos it sounds a bit thin ...

Yeah, the strings (which sound like half French Horns anyway) sound pretty fake, but that's par for the course. They're low enough in the mix that it works alright; they mostly function as a bad. The only part that stuck out to me was the flute lead around 1:10; when it came back around 2:20 with a more subdued part, it sounded fine tho.

Sounds pretty awesome! Listening on some cheapie headphones but I agree the lead guitar probably wouldn't hurt to get a little boost. The synth that comes in up high for little flourishes, that seems a bit loud in my headphones. The strings sound great to me.

is this really loud, or is it just me? i didn't care for the tone of the rhythm guitars...there's some clarity lacking, to my ears. Drums are very pushed back as well. There's something fatiguing as well, in the upper mids. The drum sounds are great, just far back. The bass sounds awesome, love that growl. I think jsut some slight knob adjustment on the amp or subtle EQ will smooth out the guitars. My two cents. Great playing and composition too. :thumbs up:

edit: it was just me. apparently my volume everywhere is up. :D

There are spots in the song where everything has focus. Then there are others. There's a LOT going on in some places and there doesn't seem to be focus, or worse yet-as an example, the solo after 3:00, it just gets buried. The solo sounds amazing, but it's really hard to hear after all the rest of the instrumentation kicks in. Maybe some level automation to keep it ahead of the pack.

is this really loud, or is it just me? i didn't care for the tone of the rhythm guitars...there's some clarity lacking, to my ears. Drums are very pushed back as well. There's something fatiguing as well, in the upper mids. The drum sounds are great, just far back. The bass sounds awesome, love that growl. I think jsut some slight knob adjustment on the amp or subtle EQ will smooth out the guitars. My two cents. Great playing and composition too. :thumbs up:

edit: it was just me. apparently my volume everywhere is up. :D

Andrushkiwt, It's metal. It's supposed to be loud. ;) Crank those speakers full volume and let it blare!!

There are a lot subsonic frequencies which is what is masking the clarity of the mix. Some minor tweaks and it sounds great - crisp, clear, punchy and still has a ton of bottom end. If you want those guitars very loud, try notching out 5k and 2k on each of the harder panned guitars a couple of dB. There is some resonance happening around 5k that I think is interfering with the snare.

It's a pretty dense mix. I like the lead guitars but the drums are too muffled, lacking power/clarity and getting lost when everything else winds up

Back