Members average number of rack units and a list...

How many rack units do you have ?

Votes: 67 12.5%

Votes: 49 9.1%

Votes: 44 8.2%

Votes: 45 8.4%
  • 5-7

Votes: 128 23.8%
  • 8-10

Votes: 68 12.7%
  • 12-15

Votes: 33 6.1%
  • 16-20

Votes: 35 6.5%
  • 21-30

Votes: 25 4.7%
  • 31+

Votes: 43 8.0%

• Total voters
Swap-a-roo

I know I am going to disappoint a lot of you but I took back my Presonus Bluetube preamp I got for graduating college and picked up a Lexicon MX200 for my rack gear. I have Antares Tube on my computer as a plugin so I figured I would get rid of the preamp. I know its not the same but I didn't want that much drive in my guitar for a nice tube-like clean sound for my music so I barely used the knobs. So... here I am with a Lexicon MX200. Poor choice, maybe but I am happy with it. I love the fact that I can connect my Oxygen 49 to the MX200 as well as a foot switch. Pretty handy.

I'm not sure why you'd say the Lexicon was maybe a poor choice - I would think it would be great - you can do a lot with that. I love their reverbs.

On my Blue Tube pre, I have never been able to use the "Drive" knobs, it sounds bad to me. Maybe it would work for guitar but for vocals, like for a tube saturation sound, I didn't like it.

I thought I saw that someone said the MX200 was no good, I probably misread. Thanks to everyone that has replied to this post to help me out, you have taught me so much. I will keep everyone posted when I make my next purchase. Thanks!

I thought I saw that someone said the MX200 was no good, I probably misread.
You probably did see it... and the poster was probably wrong, or maybe right, depending on your opinion... or his, or hers...

You will read some facts here, but most of it is very subjective opinion... you'll get feel for which opinions count...

Dude... I'd duck if I was you... I've never seen a more complete list of disrespected rack components...

• Alesis 3630 Dual-Channel with Gate (Used - $70)
    The 3630 is probably the most mutually hated compressor of all time
  • Behringer PX2000 Ultrapatch Pro (Used - $30)
    Ultrapatch is prone to failure and not really that much less than a reputable patch bay

• BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer (Used - $60)
    Probably second in line behind 3630 as most debated item on this board. Almost universal consensus that it doesn't belong in a the recording signal chain.

• Alesis Meq230 (Used - $70)
    Graphic EQ more suited for sound reinforcement than studio work (parametric lets you shape the sound of an individual track, graphic designed for adjusting entire mix for the listening environment.

• Behringer V-Verb Pro (Used - $80)
    Ok... this one has some fans... I bought one when they were cleaning them out at rock bottom prices... though honestly it been about a year now and it's still in the box.

• Digitech Vocalist 2 (Used - $170)
    Here's another performance piece that's better suited for live work, not really accurate enough for critical studio tracks. Check out TC Helicon for some studio quality harmony and pitch correction.

• Ebtech 8-Channel Hum Eliminator (New - $180)
    Planning on hum? You realize the most expensive piece you've list here is to mask what you shouldn't have if the quality of build of the connected components is up to par

I'd look more a quality then quantity at this point... I know you've got this big empty enclosure that you're dying to fill up for the audio bling factor. But you'd be better suited to work on one channel... just mic and pre, if you really want to hear it in your recordings.

You don't live under a bridge, feasting on goats... do you???

I have to strongly disagree with the BBE. Love them, and have used them not only in my guitar system, but in many, many studio's. Was at NFL Films a few weeks ago, and they have a rack full of them. Most people that bash them, don't even understand what they do, or how/when to use it.

You did note that I said Debated, not hated. ??

I own one of these too, and loved it for live sound... and I'll just stop there before we we beat this dead horse again...

*Behringer px3000 - pretty decent patchbay, hasn't fallen apart yet. Price paid: got it for free
*Behringer ex-1 - stereo imager. Bought it just to try it out and seems that it really works, altough needs new input and output connectors. Really like the phase correlation meter. Price paid: $28 used
*Drawmer MX 30 - useful compressor-gate-limiter for live situations. Price paid: $140 used
*TC Electronic M-One XL - using it for live. Price paid $290 used
*DBX 286a - have two of these and use them both in studio and live. Little bit dark sounding, but otherwise not bad. Price paid: $190/each used
*Focusrite Voicemaster Pro - got it after dbx'es and they sound like night and day: Voicemaster has far cleaner and open sound. Have recorded vocals, guitars, bassguitars even bassdrum thru this thing, love it.:) Price paid: $290 used
*Millenium HP-4 - pretty cheap and not bad headphone amp at all. Price paid: $120 new
*Access Virus TI - aahh.. the newest member in family. This thing put a hole in my wallet, but I belive it's worth every penny. Price paid: $1400 used

next goal: Focusrite Saffire 56

*Behringer px3000 - pretty decent patchbay, hasn't fallen apart yet. Price paid: got it for free
*Behringer ex-1 - stereo imager. Bought it just to try it out and seems that it really works, altough needs new input and output connectors. Really like the phase correlation meter. Price paid: $28 used
*Drawmer MX 30 - useful compressor-gate-limiter for live situations. Price paid: $140 used
*TC Electronic M-One XL - using it for live. Price paid $290 used
*DBX 286a - have two of these and use them both in studio and live. Little bit dark sounding, but otherwise not bad. Price paid: $190/each used
*Focusrite Voicemaster Pro - got it after dbx'es and they sound like night and day: Voicemaster has far cleaner and open sound. Have recorded vocals, guitars, bassguitars even bassdrum thru this thing, love it.:) Price paid: $290 used
*Millenium HP-4 - pretty cheap and not bad headphone amp at all. Price paid: $120 new
*Access Virus TI - aahh.. the newest member in family. This thing put a hole in my wallet, but I belive it's worth every penny. Price paid: $1400 used

next goal: Focusrite Saffire 56
Posting it all on HomeRecording.com... Priceless

5 if you count the POD XT that sits on my desk. I have sold most of my rack gear and replaced it with software.

So:

Presonus Firepod (now FP10)
DOD SR460H Headphone Amp/Mixer
ART Power Station 4X4
Behringer Bass V-Amp
POD XT

My rack:

Behringer Ultragain Pro 2200 Mic Pre
TC Helicon VoiceWorks
dbx 266xs Comp/Gate
Alesis Microverb III Reverb
Alesis MEQ230 Equalizer
Behringer 1/4" Patch Panel
Hosa XLR Patch Panel
Zilla Rack Power Strip

My bass amp is rack mounted. I'll soon be getting a Presonus Firestudio Project too. Other than those, I don't do much rack mount stuff.

Uhh..
Tascam pe-40 4-band parametric eq (x2)
Tascam m1-B line mixer
Tascam mx-80 Mic mixer/preamp
Tascam Graphic Eq
Furman Power Conditioner
Digitech Dsp256xl
Art Multiverb III
Roland DEP-3
AudioLogic mt44 4-channel noise gate
Alesis Matica 900 Power Amp
Yamaha GC2020 Compressor/Limiter/Exp. Gate (x2)
Behringer MDX4600 Composer Pro Compressor/Gate
DBX Project 1 266A Compressor/Limiter/Gate
DBX Project 1 262 OverEasy Compressor/Limiter
DBX Type 1 Single-Channel Tape Noise Reduction Unit (x2)
Gemini DJ Preamp....

Anyone looking to sell decent noise gates?
Also, looking to buy more Tascam PE-40 Parametric Eq's..for that matter, any vintage Tascam rack units.

I somehow enjoy these kinds of threads where people show off their equipment so I don't feel guilty posting here again after over two years. :D My rack/racks:

Setup one:
Focusrite Saffire Liquid 56
Focusrite Octopre mk2
Millenium HP4
TC Electronic M-One XL
dbx 160A
Access Virus TI
BARTH U311 Dynaset
Behringer MDX 2100

Setup two:
RME Fireface 800
SM Pro audio HP6
Avalon VT-737SP
Api The Channel strip
Focusrite 430 mk2

ART MPA II dual channel preamp (used on mics)
ART TPA II dual channel preamp (used mostly for DI instruments)
ART VLA II dual channel compressor
ART HeadAmp6Pro 6 channel headphone amp
Furman Pro DL II 20 amp power conditioner

With a sliding shelf (for a laptop) and a 2U drawer the rack is full.

OK, here goes (off the top of my head):
Modules:
--------------------------
Roland JV5080
Roland JV5050
Roland JV3050
Roland Fantom XR
Yamaha Motif Rack XS
Korg Wavestation SR
Korg Triton Rack
Korg TR Rack
Korg M2M