Meet Me in The Dark - HARD ROCK ORIGINAL

Bruthish

Hair Metal Roxx!
Hey Guys, this is my latest work. I realize its not for everyone and it's a little "50 Shades of Grey". Still working out verses so the first is repeated for the second. I still think it needs a third to make the whole thing a little longer. I have been working on this sporadically for the last couple months but just haven't had the time to finish it up but would like opinions on where it is now and how it sounds. I won't get offended by comments just be truthful as it will only help me!

Soundcloud player seems to not be working so heres the link...

https://soundcloud.com/bruthish/meet-me-in-the-dark-v5/s-uLFSS

1/21/17 REMIX:

Bass up 4db, guitars Q in midrange widened

https://soundcloud.com/bruthish/meet-me-in-the-dark-v6/s-Nx2bm

1/21/17 2nd Remix:

Guitars back to original EQ, crash cymbals down 2db and low end added back to toms.

https://soundcloud.com/bruthish/meet-me-in-the-dark-v7/s-iywKs

Last edited:
what's the effect or what're you doing with that rushing-in sound before vocals come in? sounds cool.

i think this is sounding really good man. guitars sound pretty great, to me. prob more bass, to my ears, but i'm on phones so see what others say. damn dude, this is really good. you've got a nice sound going on Bruthish

Yes, my first thought was the bottom was missing. Kick doesn't. Bass is weak. Those should be a driving force in this genre.
Like the drum tones otherwise though. Very crisp. That floor tom could use a bit of low end as well.

Thanks for the listen and comments! On the bass, I just wanted it to compliment the guitars verses being distinct, and everything I have at my disposal as far as listening devices, I can hear it well. However, I did a master EQ where I shelved the low end a little. Maybe you all can hear the lack more than I can so next edit I will bring low end back up a little. The EQ could very well be affecting the low toms too. As far as guitar and tone I tracked four separate takes(2 hard left, 2 hard right) with one set of guitars playing a fifth up scale. Using A Les Paul and Marshall DSL40C with zero effects.

Again thanks for the comments!

what's the effect or what're you doing with that rushing-in sound before vocals come in? sounds cool.

i think this is sounding really good man. guitars sound pretty great, to me. prob more bass, to my ears, but i'm on phones so see what others say. damn dude, this is really good. you've got a nice sound going on Bruthish

That sound is just me making noises with my mouth with some heavy effects. Sometimes, the stupidest and easiest things you come up with can sound really cool!

I like it. Takes me back to seeing White Zombie and Megadeth.

If I'm gonna pick, I'll say I feel that hi-hat is a bit shrill.....just a bit. For me, the bridge vocals, the 'Pride' section, could use something a little more sinister sounding....?

I was gonna say something about the bass when I realized it never really registered for me.....will give another listen...but that in itself tells you something.....

I think the bass is so tight with the guitars that it is hard to pick out. If the bottom end as a whole is lacking, then I dialed out too much. I will edit tomorrow and see if you guys can tell a difference.

The "Pride" section was hoping to emulate some of Pantera's style, but I can for sure see what I can do to spice it up some

+1 on needing more low-end.

I think the vocal also sounds kinda mid-rangey; it's missing the high-end. Less relevant in the bridge tho.

I agree with most of the above. The dominant sounds that I am hearing are the midrangy guitars and the cymbals. The mix lacks girth. Then again, maybe that's what you want. I'm not a listener or a player of this genre, so I'm not down with the aesthetic. A lot of metal mixes leave me puzzled, as some of the choices sound deliberately unmusical to my ears.

yeah Bruthish....
This is really good man. It rocks but it's severely lacking in low end. Just no bottom to speak of and that makes the overall mix tinny sounding and the cymbals too sizzly. I wouldn't change a thing until I got some bass in the mix though if it was me. I think some low end will make everything gel nicely.
fantastic tune man!

Yeah I agree with the other guys. The cymbals are too much and there is no bass (reminds me of "And Justice for All Metallica" with the kick dominating the low end and zero bass). Just notch the bass up a few db to where we can hear it, and you'll be good. Doesn't have to be boomy or even noticeable.

I thought it was pretty cool, tbh. I've had a growing appreciate for metal, especially the rhythm guitar playing in the genre. My foot was tapping, which to me is the sign of something good.

Last edited:
Its the strangest thing as I can hear bass perfectly but this has not been the only time someone said low end was lacking.

Admittedly, I made three major mistakes when trying to mix this:
1) not using my monitors, only mixing via studio headphones which must hype bass

2) Listening on most sources at a high volume which amplifies most frequencies

3) Not using any reference material/sources

This new mix I bumped the bass up 4db which sounds good but I think it brought out some of the higher bass noises which I may have to edit out.

Also, since it was mentioned a couple times, I increased the "Q" on the mid-range EQ on the guitars to try and take some mids out.

Here is the link, and it is also on first post. Let me know if its any better!

https://soundcloud.com/bruthish/meet-me-in-the-dark-v6/s-Nx2bm

yeah Bruthish....
This is really good man. It rocks but it's severely lacking in low end. Just no bottom to speak of and that makes the overall mix tinny sounding and the cymbals too sizzly. I wouldn't change a thing until I got some bass in the mix though if it was me. I think some low end will make everything gel nicely.
fantastic tune man!

Thanks Jimi! I just need to mix the right way and not the lazy way! I thought it sounded pretty good until everyone has said it has no bottom! Check out the newer mix and let me know!

Robus wrote:

I agree with most of the above. The dominant sounds that I am hearing are the midrangy guitars and the cymbals. The mix lacks girth. Then again, maybe that's what you want. I'm not a listener or a player of this genre, so I'm not down with the aesthetic. A lot of metal mixes leave me puzzled, as some of the choices sound deliberately unmusical to my ears.

Thanks for the help Robus, I know this is isn't your genre and that's ok. Even though metal/hard rock is mostly mixed differently than other styles, I still believe everything should be distinct enough to hear it and gel well. IF your not feeling/hearing any low end, then I am doing it wrong. I appreciate your input!

Bass is definitely sounding better in the new mix.

Vox are still a little underwhelming. They have that low-fi AM radio kind of sound in the verses. Is that at least partially intentional since it's less-pronounced in the chorus?

Yeah, I like to put a little valve-drive on vocals to make it sound better to my ears but the settings may not be right on this yet. For me it just gives it a little more grit and helps sit it in the mix better...but maybe not.

Back