Will you meet me at Strawberry Fields (original) from Paulina Butterfly

Hi all,
I hope you're all doing well! I'm a newcomer to HomeRecording and to making home recordings. I just bought my first Studio 1 DAW kit 6 months ago and have been trying my hand at 1) keeping time with the click track 2) getting rid of extraneous sounds whenever possible 3) adding hall reverb just a little 4) adding effects from Studio 1 to my tracks and 5) mixing using my instincts. I'm want a clear and rich sound reminiscent of 70's folk pop singers. My biggest inspirations are the Beatles, the Carpenters, Simon and Garfunkel and the like. Please let me know what I should be working on. I finally bought a pop blocker and will be using it going forward.

Many thanks,
HV

Last edited:
Whimsical minimalist folk number. Mix is fairly decent overall. I may actually throw some reverb on this vocal to evoke a more vintage 60s style. The chord switchup at 1:45 is a nice surprise.

Many thanks, sloop and Stevie. I actually did put verb on the vocal, but not a lot. I appreciate your comments. I think I can trust my ears now. Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi all,
I hope you're all doing well! I'm a newcomer to HomeRecording and to making home recordings. I just bought my first Studio 1 DAW kit 6 months ago and have been trying my hand at 1) keeping time with the click track 2) getting rid of extraneous sounds whenever possible 3) adding hall reverb just a little

I'd like to hear it without the hall verb, for two reasons. First, I think it would sound better if the vocal was drier. Second, I'd like to hear the space you recorded it in. You might get a better sound either in a better space, or in a treated space.

I'd like to hear it without the hall verb, for two reasons. First, I think it would sound better if the vocal was drier. Second, I'd like to hear the space you recorded it in. You might get a better sound either in a better space, or in a treated space.

Thanks, I'm sitting in my living room when doing my recordings and am not sure how to treat it but can look into it. Vocals sound kind of plain without the touch of verb, but will try it out next time!

Last edited:
If you record it relatively dry (in a room without tons of reflections) you can easily add reverb later in the mix. Most untreated rooms have issues, in my experience - the reflections in the room add a room sound that's often less than really attractive. I record my own vocals in a room that's heavily treated to cut down on reflections and room sound. I add space later in the mix.

Great job especially for a newb. Keep em coming and learn as you rinse and repeat.

It's awesome the powerful recording tools that are available to us these days. What we can get out of a little box and a PC these days would have cost 100's of thousand 50 years ago.

On the mix and reverb nit picks and suggestions, it's always good to get feedback and advice but it's also important to stay true to what YOU wanted it to sound like.

You have a nice voice and you're able to write lyrics and melodies, you're blessed with gifts not all are.

Dive in and have a blast!

Hi all,
I hope you're all doing well! I'm a newcomer to HomeRecording and to making home recordings. I just bought my first Studio 1 DAW kit 6 months ago and have been trying my hand at 1) keeping time with the click track 2) getting rid of extraneous sounds whenever possible 3) adding hall reverb just a little 4) adding effects from Studio 1 to my tracks and 5) mixing using my instincts. I'm want a clear and rich sound reminiscent of 70's folk pop singers. My biggest inspirations are the Beatles, the Carpenters, Simon and Garfunkel and the like. Please let me know what I should be working on. I finally bought a pop blocker and will be using it going forward.

Many thanks,
HV

Nice - don't know about the Strawberry Fields hook - I'd try something else - Great job though - vocals are a little narrow and sonically missing some lower mids to my ears.

Back