Meatloaf

It's Mick. :whistle: He would argue with his own shadow given a chance. This is what Wiki says not me.

But I know being English about chips and French fries. We only ate chips from chip shops until McDonalds came to the UK in about mid to late 70's. Then we had French fries because they are frozen and then fried.

Proper British style chips are not frozen. They are freshly prepared chipped potato. Fresh as in prepared that day or not frozen.

Purely? Where did I say that and who else has 'Thanksgiving? So doesnt that make it American?

Potatoes didnt arrive in Europ until about the 15 or 1600's and originate from south America. Frying potatoes was always done in animal fat until they invented vegetable oil. Not that long ago

Turkeys are an American bird. Europeans never ever had them until after the 1500's but are eaten everywhere and are a British christmas meal. But we dont claim them.

Must be something lost in translation.

Uh, post #30? You said, "No it's all a very English thing. I mentioned it because somebody referred to the Worcester sauce. Another purely English thing." To which I countered, no, it is not a purely English thing. In the US we do and have used it for quite some time, perhaps now even more so than in the UK. We however certainly would never presume to claim it. It says Worcestershire sauce right on the bloody bottle.

A lot of people do not realize tomatoes originate from the Americas as well. Same goes for peppers.

I appreciate you lot not claiming Turkeys, awfully considerate of you.

Let me rephrase that so there is no misunderstanding. When I said "Who is arguing", I could have said "I wasn't trying to argue with anyone." Apologies for any misunderstanding, Orson. Just joking around, taking the piss, as some might say.

Yeah, some are not fans of turkey. You know the best part of the turkey? Some refer to it as "the oyster". Flip the bird over and dig out the piece of meat at the hip pocket, sort of looks like the bulb of an oyster. Best part, even if I do say so myself. And I do, so there. :D

We used to have big turkeys at xmas. 25 pounders and over. At xmas I used to get the turkey drumstick before the main dinner. I used to chomp on it with a bottle of brown ale (English beer) I thought the two went together well. Then I would have the thigh with main meal.

In the turkey drumstick there is a thin flexible bone and it got well and truely stuck in my throat. I was seriously choking to death. My mother hammered the hell out of my back to remove it. Eventually it came loose after what seemed forever, but quite a few minutes and never ate turkey drumsticks since.

Breast is very dry so never eat it at all.

I should also say, TAE, I apologize for saying Miracle Whip is not mayonnaise....because is says so right on the damn label (salad) dressing. :cursing:

But that's not important, I should never have said that. The important thing is to not argue, over condiments. 🙂

You lost me there Mick.:unsure:

I was just kidding, again. Sorry to joke about you choking, choking is scary stuff. Glad you got the bone up and out.

Noob is a sort of long running joke here and elsewhere. It's a shorter and bastardized manner of saying "newbe". As in new and inexperienced at something. As in, you're eating a turkey leg, you didn't know a damn turkey leg has bones in it? Your mother never taught you to chew your food? This doesn't make any sense. None of this makes any sense. What the hell is going on here? What the hell?!! :cursing:

:-)

You been drinking Mick.:-)

Not. yet. I'm being lazy so far. Twas a long hard week. I'm going to go to the store, get a chunk of meat, set my big fatass egg shaped grill up for the first time, get 'er nice and toasty warm, sit in front of it and drink...oh, about 15 beers, or so. With tomato juice. Redeye. Not too much tomato juice. About 1 finger in the bottom of a glass, and the contents of one bottle o beer. Fits perfectly. Put it on repeat.....repeat repeat repeat <--best simulation of an echo I could come up with.

You're not mad at me, are ya?

Me never. Cant beat taking the piss and larking around. Some people dont like it though. Me, I think thats all we should ever do.

It's Mick. :whistle: He would argue with his own shadow given a chance. This is what Wiki says not me.

But I know being English about chips and French fries. We only ate chips from chip shops until McDonalds came to the UK in about mid to late 70's. Then we had French fries because they are frozen and then fried.

Proper British style chips are not frozen. They are freshly prepared chipped potato. Fresh as in prepared that day or not frozen.
There are still places that make proper french fries over here. Fast food places like McD's and Wendys freeze them because they need to supply massive amounts of consistent stuff.

I used to go to a nice neighborhood bar in South Carolina. When you ordered fries with your sandwich, the cook grabbed a big ol' spud and put it through a cutter that made each fry about 1/2 inch square. Then it dropped right into the hot oil. He had 50 lb bags of potatoes behind the counter. It doesn't get much fresher. 5 Guys hamburger chains use freshly cut potatoes as well. You can get them salted or with cajun seasoning. No precut potatoes there. When you walk in, they literally have boxes of potatoes and boxes of roasted peanuts in the dining area.

You don't HAVE to get preprocessed frozen food here.

Back in 2000, I spent a couple of weeks in the UK for work. It seemed most of the pubs and restaurants I ate in had roasted potatoes. The places that served chips were more like the steak fries in the US. They were larger, but usually not quite as crisp as a normal good French Fry. I didn't notice a bit difference in the areas, visiting Chester, Scarborough, York and Liverpool. One pub down in Ruabon was really nice. The food there was great.

Reactions: TAE
There are still places that make proper french fries over here. Fast food places like McD's and Wendys freeze them because they need to supply massive amounts of consistent stuff.

I used to go to a nice neighborhood bar in South Carolina. When you ordered fries with your sandwich, the cook grabbed a big ol' spud and put it through a cutter that made each fry about 1/2 inch square. Then it dropped right into the hot oil. He had 50 lb bags of potatoes behind the counter. It doesn't get much fresher. 5 Guys hamburger chains use freshly cut potatoes as well. You can get them salted or with cajun seasoning. No precut potatoes there. When you walk in, they literally have boxes of potatoes and boxes of roasted peanuts in the dining area.

You don't HAVE to get preprocessed frozen food here.

Back in 2000, I spent a couple of weeks in the UK for work. It seemed most of the pubs and restaurants I ate in had roasted potatoes. The places that served chips were more like the steak fries in the US. They were larger, but usually not quite as crisp as a normal good French Fry. I didn't notice a bit difference in the areas, visiting Chester, Scarborough, York and Liverpool. One pub down in Ruabon was really nice. The food there was great.
It is doubtful that pubs would use fresh chips. They may use larger 'steak cut' chips and the like. But a chip shop or decent one would employ someone to freshly make the chips daily. Peel and chip them. These places usually sell proper chips.

... I used to go to a nice neighborhood bar in South Carolina. When you ordered fries with your sandwich, the cook grabbed a big ol' spud and put it through a cutter that made each fry about 1/2 inch square. Then it dropped right into the hot oil...
I had one of those cutters. Massive, heavy, cast iron monsters you bolt down to a counter or to the wall. Shot a whole potato out the end in 1/2" sticks.

I had one of those cutters. Massive, heavy things you bolt down to a counter or to the wall. Shot a whole potato out the end in 1/2" sticks.
You can still buy them. Me mom had one in the 60's. I think ours did chips larger than half inch square though.

Back