Meatloaf

Good tip Mick... have to try it some time. Before I got the Covid I had a incredibly distinct taste ability...for now that ship has sailed...can taste lots of stuff ( sort of ) but sadly my morning ritual of a nice cup of coffee with some half and half has become a nice hot cup of something like warm milk with a slight bite...I can smell the grounds sort of...but the liquid...nada...THAT SUCKS hopefully it will come back...

Point being do you think you could tell the difference / identify Heinz with a blindfold among 4 brands of ketchup to taste....Is it that significant of a difference? I mean Like Best Foods and Miracle Whip. Heinz or Hunt's is all good with me but Hunt's IS the slow ketchup ;)

I thought Heinz was the one that used the advertisement gimmick that it was slow?

I like that sort of thing. I think I could tell the difference. Blindfold would be important though because Heinz is a deeper red. I think Heinz is richer, more tomatoeee. I used to get Hunt's, because it wasn't low rent store brand, but didn't cost as much as Heinz. These days i'm crazy like that, you can't stop me, money is no object i'm going Heinz! :D

You talkin' mayo? Dude, you're pulling my chain, aintcha? Miracle Whip ain't mayo, it's dressing. :facepalm:

Do you retarded lot over there ever get anything like 'Daddies Sauce'? (No double entendres please).

We in the more saner part of the word have a tomato sauce (ketchup) the best as you say is Heinz. But we also have brown sauce or a 'Daddies Sauce'. The best being HP Sauce (brand).

We would eat chips (fries) sausage sandwiches etc with tomato sauce but a bacon and egg sandwich, bacon and mushroom sandwich or bacon and sausage sandwich is something else with a good brown sauce on it. There is something about the spicy brown sauce that goes with eggs and bacon, or bacon and those huge hand size black mushrooms. Doesnt seem to work on chips (fries) but on the food I mention it is special.

These sauces tomato and brown sauces were the staple food of post war kids growing up in the 50's 60's and 70's. Many a time all we would have to eat quickly would be a slice of buttered bread smeared thickly with these sauces. It was young kids food that we could make ourselves when the oldies weren't around. But then for our main meals of the day that our mothers made of an evening. These bottles of tomato and brown came out again and as much as possible was splashed onto our food much to the complaints of our parents.

1280px--2019-09-04_Bacon_sandwich_with_HP_sauce,_Cromer.jpg

snapshotimagehandler_533734578.jpeg

Last edited:
Never saw Daddies Sauce, but I've bought HP sauce several times in the past but I haven't seen it in years. . Usually I go with A1 for steak sauce over Heinz 57 sauce. I've got a selection of BBQ sauces which works out well since I eat BBQ more often than steak.

Never saw Daddies Sauce, but I've bought HP sauce several times in the past but I haven't seen it in years. . Usually I go with A1 for steak sauce over Heinz 57 sauce. I've got a selection of BBQ sauces which works out well since I eat BBQ more often than steak.
They came out of the midlands of Britain. The then industrial city of Birmingham. But I think a foreign company took over these sauce brands a few years ago now. Possibly why you don't get them over there now. They are still around though.

They came out of the midlands of Britain. The then industrial city of Birmingham. But I think a foreign company took over these sauce brands a few years ago now. Possibly why you don't get them over there now. They are still around though.
Heinz bought out both these sauces. They're takin' over the world! .. and the rest are playin' catch-up :p:facepalm:

After leaving home and starting to cook for myself, I would always use A-1 on my steaks. The older I got, the more I realized the sauce was covering up the steak flavors, then I began adding maybe a teaspoon of A-1 on the side and would just barely touch a bite of steak to it for a hint of flavoring. Heinz 57 was too sweet for me. Now when I eat steak (maybe once every 2 years or so), I only use freshly grated garlic.

Last edited:
I keep A-1 in the fridge but don't always use it. Often the first half of my steak is just that, steak. Second half might get some A-1. When out or low I make my own, ketchup, worcestershire, a touch of vinegar, tiny pinch of cayenne. Tastes more like Heinz 57 than A-1, I reckon. Worcestershire has a lot of what's in A-1, minus maybe raisins(?) Oh, and maybe missing the anchovies, just that. lol Not always but sometimes i'll pop it in the microwave for few. Ketchup once cooked tastes different than straight out the bottle. Plus, I like the idea of not always having to depend on store bought and making sauces, BBQ sauce and such.

Speaking of....I think i'm going to give my new egg shaped ceramic lined grill/smoker a go today. Kamado Joe, on nice casters but weighs a ton. They say there's a bit of a learning curve controlling & stabilizing the heat and it might be best first time around to cook something rather than attempt low-n-slow. I really want low and slow. If I go that route with pork I might smoke some apple to incorporate into a BBQ sauce. Told the wife as serious as I could muster before she went out for a while that I was cooking some big fat hotdogs....really low and slow for about 6 hours. She knows i'm a nut, but I think she may have bought it and thought I was serious. Maybe. I. was. :whistle:

Interesting Brown Sauce...Yeah not sure if our A1 sauce is in the same lane or not. HP and Daddy's Hmmm?... I've been to Europe a shit ton of times but never the UK and I don't remember seeing it in Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Russia, Amsterdam, Spain, Portugal, Poland or where I spent most of my time Czech Republic.. Ireland ( where my Dad's side comes from ) and the UK are on my bucket list of need to go there places but that may never happen at this juncture with this dumb Covid thing running our lives.

Fun story on Ketchup or Catsup All of us 65+ year old Mericans remember Marlo Thomas in "that girl" ( man she was a cutie) I know there was a scene in it where she is a starving young actress and her go to "free meal" was hot water and the little Ketchup packages......Tomater soup on a budget

Oh, the memories.. Marlo's skid row soup was a reality for some in real life. People also ordered only hot water at diners, then whipped out their own tea bags.

Interesting Brown Sauce...Yeah not sure if our A1 sauce is in the same lane or not. HP and Daddy's Hmmm?... I've been to Europe a shit ton of times but never the UK and I don't remember seeing it in Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Russia, Amsterdam, Spain, Portugal, Poland or where I spent most of my time Czech Republic.. Ireland ( where my Dad's side comes from ) and the UK are on my bucket list of need to go there places but that may never happen at this juncture with this dumb Covid thing running our lives.

Fun story on Ketchup or Catsup All of us 65+ year old Mericans remember Marlo Thomas in "that girl" ( man she was a cutie) I know there was a scene in it where she is a starving young actress and her go to "free meal" was hot water and the little Ketchup packages......Tomater soup on a budget
No it's all a very English thing. I mentioned it because somebody referred to the Worcester sauce. Another purely English thing.

The strange thing is that in Europe they always say British food is terrible. It isn't and actually far superior to theirs. It is just that owes evolved differently. For instance pies and pasties. In Ireland they hardly ever eat them. But if you find a good old pie shop in mainland Britain you will taste some of the best food ever.

Black Pudding what you call blood sausage. Again get the stuff from the small bespoke butchers and it is out of this world.

The French always talk of their fish meals. You ask them where it comes from and they will avoid answering. It mostly comes from Britain and Ireland. The Spanish are exactly the same.

Of course if you want to eat duck and goose livers where they are force fed with a ring around their necks to stop them bringing it up or even song birds drowned in bottles of brandy then Europe is the place for you.

No it's all a very English thing. I mentioned it because somebody referred to the Worcester sauce. Another purely English thing.

The strange thing is that in Europe they always say British food is terrible. It isn't and actually far superior to theirs. It is just that owes evolved differently. For instance pies and pasties. In Ireland they hardly ever eat them. But if you find a good old pie shop in mainland Britain you will taste some of the best food ever.

Black Pudding what you call blood sausage. Again get the stuff from the small bespoke butchers and it is out of this world.

The French always talk of their fish meals. You ask them where it comes from and they will avoid answering. It mostly comes from Britain and Ireland. The Spanish are exactly the same.

Of course if you want to eat duck and goose livers where they are force fed with a ring around their necks to stop them bringing it up or even song birds drowned in bottles of brandy then Europe is the place for you.

I don't know if worcestershire sauce is a very English thing. Sure, it started there, but I think that was way back 1850 or so. It's been a thing in the US for quite some time, and probably now more prevalent in the US than UK where it seems HP is more popular. I could be wrong.

I've heard it said all cultures have their own version of a fish sauce. Don't know if it is factual, but an interesting concept. Worcestershire has anchovies.

I've also heard of drowning duck or whatever bird in wine or brandy. That sounds hard core. At first hearing it I took it literally, but second thought maybe it meant a heavy portion of wine or brandy sauce. I guess i've been set straight on that. Wow.

I don't know if worcestershire sauce is a very English thing. Sure, it started there, but I think that was way back 1850 or so. It's been a thing in the US for quite some time, and probably now more prevalent in the US than UK where it seems HP is more popular. I could be wrong.

I've heard it said all cultures have their own version of a fish sauce. Don't know if it is factual, but an interesting concept. Worcestershire has anchovies.

I've also heard of drowning duck or whatever bird in wine or brandy. That sounds hard core. At first hearing it I took it literally, but second thought maybe it meant a heavy portion of wine or brandy sauce. I guess i've been set straight on that. Wow.
Well if it starts somewhere and becomes mainstream there doesnt that make it a 'from there' thing?

Sheesh, I just read about that. Bird called a Ortolan. Cages are covered which triggers an instinct to gorge on millet. Drowned in brandy. Roasted, plucked, and eaten whole, feet first....with or without the head. They are sometimes pickled in casks. Yum, I mean, no thanks.

But French fries are just that. In the UK and elsewhere we eat an entirely different kind of fried chipped potato. The French just like to think they are the connoisseurs of food and love. But they arent and we have different views of them. Not pleasant either.

C'mon now, now you're pulling my leg again with this "purely" thing. French fries are not a French thing? I'm kind of thinking the French would be all like "Stupid peasant Americans, the french do not a eat a French a fries a."

I think i've made up my mind. It was either NY Strip Steak, or Pork Butt Roast. I think i'm going low-n-slow Pork Butt Roast on the new cooker. Dinner should be served, oh, about 10 hours from now.

Reactions: TAE
C'mon now, now you're pulling my leg again with this "purely" thing. French fries are not a French thing? I'm kind of thinking the French would be all like "Stupid peasant Americans, the french do not a eat a French a fries a."
Purely? Where did I say that and who else has 'Thanksgiving? So doesnt that make it American?

Potatoes didnt arrive in Europ until about the 15 or 1600's and originate from south America. Frying potatoes was always done in animal fat until they invented vegetable oil. Not that long ago

Turkeys are an American bird. Europeans never ever had them until after the 1500's but are eaten everywhere and are a British christmas meal. But we dont claim them.

According to this Americans have only had French fries since after WW2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_fries

The Brits never had them. We have 'chips'. Which are a lot chunkier and sometimes battered. Our chips were always cooked in beef fat and the best ones still are.

Last edited:
Their Thing / Our Thing...Tortilla Chips Los Angeles, Drive through restaurants In-n-Out Los Angeles / Baldwin Park The Fortune Cookie Los Angeles
Mc Donalds San Bernardino, California Taco Bell Downey California, Carls Junior Anaheim California, Disneyland Anaheim California, The Beach Boys, Van Halen, The Doors, and a shit ton of other great bands guess what I'm saying when it comes to bragging rites California and especially Southern California is like the cornucopia of fricking cool fun innovation...Sriracha Sauce LA! Holy shit I can not believe how much I see of that sauce EVERYWHERE now...It's made about 4 miles from my shack...incredible... I LOVE LA! Oh yeah Randy Newman too! Hear he makes a mean meatloaf...just to get back on topic :laughings:

Back