Me and the C3

TheOneTrueMatt

So I "rented" a Studio Projects C3 from the store I work at today so I could try one out, figuring I'd probably end up buying it before I need to bring it back. So I hooked it up to my M-Audio Omni Studio and wailed at it a bit. Afterwards I decided to do an A/B comparison with my only other LDC, the Behringer B2 (don't hurt me, the B2 does so enough already!).

First off, regardless of whatever else I might say here, the C3 is a much better mic than the Behringer B2. No question.

Yeah, the high end is hyped. And maybe as a result that's why the low end sounds weak. I proximity-effected the crap out of it and just couldn't quite get that "ooo, baby" intimate sound. I suppose it is a bright mic afterall, but I was hoping to get a little more proximity bass than I got. The B2 was better for that (and that's all it was better at).

Disclaimer: I did not try it in a mix yet, because my project files are still getting moved from my old (dead) DAW machine to the new one. (I'm waiting on a harddrive enclosure)

Also, on my voice, when I pushed into my higher range (And beyond, hehe, metal headvoice/falsetto here) it was a bit harsh, which I suspected it might be, though I hoped since the C3 is a bit smoother than the C1 (thank god I didn't order one of those) that it wouldn't be much of a problem. Anyway, I think, even though I heard it on different preamps (but it was a digital mixer so I doubt they were any better than my DMP2ish Omni pres) and in a different environment, I'm going to get the AT4040.

Before I return it I'm going to try it on guitar cabs and in a mix (after I record said cabs, hehe). I imagine the hyped high end (which is really apparent) would be really good for making it stand out in a dense mix, but since I can only afford one mic right now, I think I better go with the one that sounds good on my voice on its own, and hopefully it'll sit well in a mix as well. ie: the AT4040.

My only dilemma is whether or not to get a B-stock one on Ebay ($245) or get a non-B-stock one through my store (my discount is not that fantastic on this for some reason, so it actually will cost me about $250-260). I heard someone say there was a price drop and they were going for that range anyway, but none of the e-tailers seem to have it for less than $299?

Finally, for the record, I don't think this is a bad mic, and in a lot of ways I liked elements of its sound, but I agree that its hyped in the high end, a tad lacking in the low, and most importantly, just doesn't flatter my voice. Maybe if I play around with it more I'll change my mind before it goes back. Its too bad since it would have been nice to have omni and figure-8 patterns.

the at4040 is a safe mic in that it'll do a lot of things well. i can't think of a better large condenser or an equal to the at4040 until the $500 level. i've been told a lot of the b stock comes off of use at shows/conventions.

steve
www.mojopie.com

A Lot of Things Well

Unfortunately as much as I'd like a mic to serve many purposes, its almost something that worries me about the AT4040, because I want a mic (for $300 or less) that is going to do really well on vocals specifically, and anything else is a bonus. Now I've heard this about both the 4040 and the C1/C3, but I've heard more about the 4040 saying "its good for a lot of things." It seems sometimes versatility means less great performance on vocals (or at least most of the really versatile mics seem to be just average on vocals). However, I think its safe to say I can't go too wrong because I have heard my voice through it and I liked what I heard (of course I didn't hear it in a mix, nor recorded, but I could hear my problems with the C3 before I recorded them too).

I think I'm going to avoid B-stock, but probably but an AT4040. If anyone knows where to find it for $250 or less (not B-stock) please let me know. And yes I've seen the $260 on Ebay that is $30 shipping.

Last edited:
Would it be out of line for me to suggest your "Rent" the other mics you intend to buy, just like you did wiht the C3. You almost bought that based on folks recomendations. What makes you think any other mic is going to be different. The C3 works well on some voices, but not yours. That will probably be true with a lot of mics.

Try before you buy, unless you just want to buy mics for other purposes and voices.

Blessings, Terry

Point well taken, but...

still4given, if I could, I would. The reason I was able to "rent" the C3 is that it was in stock in the store I work at. We're primarily a guitar store and carry a limited supply of recording stuff, maybe 3-4 brands of mics tops(Shure, SP, EV, AKG), and we don't keep a lot of stock around. We don't have any AT stuff in the store.

However, I think I might go right w/the AT4040 because I have tried it at Guitar Center and liked how it sounded on my voice. So yeah I'm still taking a small risk but I don't have much choice, and at least I've heard it on my voice. (hey that rhymes)

I tried out everything I was considering that they had at GC and this (C3) was pretty much the only one our store has that I was considering, and now I've pretty much narrowed it down to...well the AT4040, so there's little left to do but buy and try. The only really unknown factor (other than any differences based on preamps and such) is how the AT4040 will sound w/my voice in a mix. I'm very tempted to go back to GC and audition a TLM103, but that's way out of my price range, and will be for pretty much the rest of the year :D

Later today I'm going to help one of my roommates record some songs he's been working on (acoustic/vocal stuff), so I'm going to try the C3 out on him just for kicks. He's got a slightly thicker voice than me, maybe it'll suit him, also see how it goes on acoustic guitar. And tomorrow I'm going to try it on my guitar amp (and I'll be very sad if it sounds as good on cabs as I've heard but can't keep it 'cause it doesn't work on my voice, and yes I'd love to get BOTH but I don't have the $$$ for it now). Already the disease has worked its way in deep, and I don't even own a good mic yet! (other than my 2 SM57s) :)

Back