MD8 - Error 08 estimate to fix

stodge

I finally have the money to fix my MD8's Error 08. Yamaha told me to return it to them for repairs but they wouldn't provide an estimate. Has anyone else had an MD8 fixed for this particular error, and if so, approximately how much did it cost?

Thanks

stodge said:
I finally have the money to fix my MD8's Error 08. Yamaha told me to return it to them for repairs but they wouldn't provide an estimate. Has anyone else had an MD8 fixed for this particular error, and if so, approximately how much did it cost?

Thanks

i take it you've searched around and seen the HR bbs threads.
1) dust causing error 8's- unit or the disc

2) try another disc
3) remove plastic lid and manually remove the disc
the thin metal slot/holder got bent...inspect and bend back
-be gentle with the loading and unloading

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=15382

I've read other threads and tried to remove the disc but I can't get it out. I'm afraid to try any more in case I damage something and make it worse.

Thanks

hmm?

if it were me, i'd mess with it, jiggle it gently....
move it side to side...

if it's going for repair anyway?

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA...ID%3D10551%26CNTYP%3DKNOWLEDGE%5FITEM,00.html

MD ERROR CODES
Error Code Description
Disc Error 01 Recording Re-try Failure
Disc Error 02 Recording Data Overflow
Disc Error 03 PLAY Data Lack (to indicate data overflow during Recording)
Disc Error 10 Address Inconsistency during Recording
Disc Error 80 or 08 The magnetic head didn't drop into position.
Error 01 Sled (or laser unit) didn't move to the inside position.
Error 02 Sled didn't move to the outside position.
Error 04 The magnetic head didn't raise off of the disk.
Error 05 Spindle Error
Error 06 Focus Error
Error 07 Tracking Error
Error 08 The magnetic head does not search

An error code on an MD Recorder is not necessarily an indication of a problem with the unit. The error may also be the result of inconsistencies in the MD media itself. Before contacting Yamaha for repair, a different mini disc should be tried. However, if the error occurs repeatedly on multiple mini discs then the unit most likely will require servicing. Arrangements for servicing can be made by contacting Yamaha Customer Support at (714) 522-9000.

Old discs

I went in to Turnkey, Charing Cross Road (London) and bought a pack of HHB Data discs for my MD8. The box looked a bit old like it had been lying around for a while. I asked about it, but they said it was just in the shop for a while and that it would be fine. Every disc from that packet came up with an error!

Although I've bought discs from other places and they've been fine, this experience put me right off the mini disc format for multi-track use.

Thanks for the extra replies. However, I can't get the disk out of the machine, so I can't try others.

Back