MATH

Is that what I said? You understand the SC interprets the law, and does so subjectively according to the people on it? You understand that Citizens United itself overturned existing regulations that had been in place for a century? When something is overturned (like Roe), you claim to understand which ruling was the more constitutional one? I plainly said “failing that” in reference to whether it could be overturned. If it can’t, there’s other possible reforms. What has “become evident” to me is that we have politicians who can be bought. You disagree?

We both understand that a law can be constitutional and have negative and positive outcomes that flow from it.

We both understand the role of the SC and the nature of political appointments.

We both understand that regulations that are found to be unconstitutional should be abandoned. As for Roe, there's plenty of information about the ruling and why it prevailed. States are free to restrict or allow abortions if they have the votes to do it and the balls to declare their position on the (fraught) issue and campaign on it. State legislators need to do their job and quit relying on other branches of government to do it for them.

I intuit that for you, the chief problem with CU (and the current composition of the SC) is that it produces some political outcomes you don't like. You don't mention unions and environmental nonprofits, just corporations as the problem with unlimited donations. Unraveling that knot isn't the function of the SC. It is the function of your elected legislative representatives.

When are "progressives" ever going to practice what they preach about "equity" and "real change"?

Either never, or the day after you stfu about what progressives think and start taking responsibility for your own political philosophy.

just corporations as the problem with unlimited donations. Unraveling that knot isn't the function of the SC. It is the function of your elected legislative representatives.

Representatives who a more firmly entrenched and nearly impossible to oust due to CU. I thinks that's, at least in part, the larger point.

I intuit that for you, the chief problem with CU (and the current composition of the SC) is that it produces some political outcomes you don't like.
That’s fair, but…
You don't mention unions and environmental nonprofits, just corporations as the problem with unlimited donations. Unraveling that knot isn't the function of the SC. It is the function of your elected legislative representatives.
I’m 100% same stance regardless of which side of the aisle benefits. I’m against buying politcal outcomes period.

You’ve been here a long time, and might recall that I was a Bush apologist in the cave days (which I now regret). I’ve been more conservative than liberal most of my life, and only voted democrat for the first time when Trump ran. I’m not a big fan of unions, for example. I might appear far left now compared to several of the people in this group, but mainly because I’m frightened of where the right has been heading since Trump came along.

You’ve been here a long time, and might recall that I was a Bush apologist in the cave days (which I now regret). I’ve been more conservative than liberal most of my life, and only voted democrat for the first time when Trump ran. I’m not a big fan of unions, for example. I might appear far left now compared to several of the people in this group, but mainly because I’m frightened of where the right has been heading since Trump came along.

Incredible. And thank you.

They buy ads. They don't buy votes. The answer to speech is more speech, not laws restricting speech. At least, that was a majority of the court's view.

That doesn't by default make it right, correct, or appropriate. Or healthy for democracy. And as much as I respect it - the constitution is imperfect and open to interpretation- something we're all (or should be) very aware of.

We started out, have been, and will continue to be an experiment, a work in progress.

The SC CU ruling was/is a mistake. Our government was already bought and paid for by private concentrated capital. CU just sealed the deal and took it to another level.

Anyway... there's nothing I can do about it. But bitch.

"Christian Nationalism" is just another leftist hate label which aims to discredit the role of Christianity in the shaping of our country. Really fucked up.
Do you really believe selling an American-themed Bible is consistent with Christian values?

To claim this is a Christian nation or was founded on Christian values while your party bastardizes Christianity is what is discrediting - to republicans and Christians alike. One needs only to look at declining church attendance numbers to see that.

Last edited:
I'm still gonna vote for him.
In the 20 or so years I’ve been here, I’ve seen you post pretty intelligent things and I’ve always respected your opinion, so I am sincerely curious what the bottom line is for you on that. I don’t want to get in to a debate that devolves into what typically happens here, so I’ll just hear your answer (if you give it) and move on. I look at what I see as an attack on democracy itself - sowing distrust in our intelligence community, distrust in elections, siding with enemies while pissing off allies, etc…on the economy he was deficit spending and furthering the economic disparity we have prior to covid, which he then politicized and made worse than it should have been.

I have to ask what you see in the guy…

Back