MasterLink Users

bigfoot

I'm thinking of getting a MasterLink. Have any users had problems with their MasterLink-burned CDs not working on consumer CD players. Any other problems? Would you buy MasterLink again knowing what you now know of its limitations? Thanks in advance for your response.

Hey Bigfoot,if you perform a "search" on this BBS for this particular subject,you will come across a long thread in regards to it's overall operation and other factoids!

Mr. 2Q - I have read all the other posts, but before I laid out the cash, I just wanted final reassurance on the CDs being playable on other machines, since I've read of some standalone-burned CDs not performing on some players.

Have a ML and love it. Have had zero probs with other units reading ML cd's, however, cheaper burned cd's from some consumer decks cannot be properly read by ML. A pro burn or press has no prob being read by ML. Only poorly burned cd's could be a prob for ML I have found.

I have had no problems with Masterlink-generated CD's playing on other machines. However, I did get an error message when trying to play a CD created by a Phillips dual CD recorder. I did have problems with playback of any CD on the Masterlink. It did something that sounded like a skip on a vinyl record. Updating to software version 2.02 has solved the problem. I love my unit, and recommend it highly.

Limitations?

The only limitations that you could be referring to is the mistake that I made when I first burned a CD. I burned the CD in CD24 format and tried to use it in a consumer product and of course it did not work. The CD24 format can be used for better sample rate a and can be played either from a CDROM of a computer or from the Masterlink itself but, not on consumer products. You will have to burn the CD in Redbook format to support this. The masterlink offers both formats. To me it was not stated in the manual that the CD24 format would not work on consumer CD players and that's the reason my first burned CD failed in consumer products. Trust Me!!!! You want this piece of gear!! It's easy to use and the editing features are superb!

I've had my MasterLink for about a month now........it is a great unit! Excellent sound, easy to use, nice features, and I have burned many copies of my CD and sent them to friends....not one problem with any of them! This is a great piece of gear! I would buy one again in a minute!

Yo Big Feet:]

When you burn your first CD with the Masterlink, send me an E-mail and let me know how long it took you to learn to use the box. I'd like to get one but don't want to spend two years learning how to use it; from the comments above, seems like I'm worrying about nothing.

Green Hornet
Benmocini@aol.com

Took me about 4 hours to learn how to use mine, and I pretty much used to hate anything digital (although I'm rapidly getting better).

I'm really coming to love the idea that I don't need to do jack to the mastering deck before I start shoving signal at it: no more ritual of cleaning and degaussing, checking the bias and alignment, tweeking the tweekers and munging the mungers. With this thing you just plug and chug. *Damn*, that's nice.

I've also had zero problems with the Red Book CDs from mine being readable by any consumer hardware. Everyone who I've done CDs for has been happy. Additionally, dumping things to CD24 format for backup and offsite storage (that's what big safe-deposit boxes are for!) is a great sleep-improver, too. Two thumbs up, and with no band-aids on 'em. I don't even own a razorblade or any leader tape any more...

Don't sweat the time-to-learn. The manual is fine, and the thing is really straightforward to use. Believe this: if a dinosaur like me can use one, so can you!

Yo Skippy

Yo Skip:

Thanks for you information; I'm looking for a stand alone unit but I just don't want to be using eight manuals or looking at ten vidios or going through 22 menus pushes....

You have been clear and to the point....way beyond the skill of those who write manuals.

Many thanks,

Green Hornet

You might consider downloading the manual at the alesis web site. You can then evaluate whether or not you find it clear and concise.

ML for me?

Ok, I record 24 track adat. Ive got a pretty good setup but Im still not getting that finished radio sound. Is this ML going to give me that? iS IT MORE A cd RECORDER than a mastering device , or is it equally both? Will spend the bucks if worthy. Jim

MasterLink so far

Recording a CD is a breeze and can be done in little more than an hour. Of course the mastering part is what takes time, getting the right compression, eq, limiter and normalizer settings to make your mix shine like you want it to. That's where your experience/experimentation comes in. The limiter and normalizer add those extra decibels to make the mix sound like the pros (at least reasonably close for the money). As far as radio radio ready, dont forget radio stations add their own compressors and other processors to get their sound. MasterLink is indeed much more than a mere CD recorder. I got a refurbished ML for $1199 from ebay and I'm wating for my $100 rebate from Alesis.

Back