Masterlink OS Crash

bwindsor

After 7 years of practically trouble free operation, I turned on my Masterlink and got a message which read "OS not recognized" or something to that effect (didn't write it down)...anyway, it asked me if I wanted to reload the Operating System...since I didn't want to lose everything I said no, but of course the system wouldn't re-boot without it, so eventually I had to reload the latest version I have (2.14 I think) and all booted up perfectly....but the hard drive was wiped (as I knew it would be)...lucky for me everything important had been backed up, but I'm worried now that I'll "have" to back up every mix in the future "just in case"...I know we're supposed to anyway, but while in the middle of a project I sometimes store each mix over time (one week, two weeks, a month depending on project) before doing the final selection, etc. Everything is good now, no error messages, etc. over the past week and I've had it off and on a dozen or more times, but I'm still nervous as hell....anyone else have this message or issue before, and if so, did the fix require anything more than reloading the OS? Just looking for a heads up in case it goes deeper than that, and that I might have a trip in for service/parts in the near future. Thanks for any and all replies, BW

AEL,

I agree...after posting I did a search (ass-backwards, I know) and it looks like that "may" be the solution...in any case, I can use the extra storage space, so looks like I'll "rip into it" as Skippy stated previously!

Thanks, BW

Yup, Skippy is the man on this. I followed his instructions exactly and now have 50+ hours of recording time.
Al

Yeah dude, replace the drive. I have had this happen to me before with the Masterlink. One thing to know is that you can't use more than 32 gigs in a Masterlink. Not that you can't put a larger drive in there, but the OS won't read past 32 gigs. So make sure when you get a new drive you don't waste money on anything too big. Good luck! And backup! :)

As a follow up, it looks like using a 7200rpm HD is not a problem...I guess the new ones run a lot cooler, and it's nearly impossible to get a 5400 rpm anyway...hell, 40 Gb Hd's are pretty well obsolete (not quite, but you know what I mean)...anyway, just wondering if anyone here has installed a Seagate (Barracuda, 40Gb) in their Masterlink....I'm sure the fit is fine, just thought I'd throw this up in case there are issues with "certain" manufacturers...my original is a Fuji, not sure where that sat in the "pecking order", but probably not at the top! It did last for nearly 7 years, I guess I won't "dis" it.

Thanks again, BW

bwindsor said:
As a follow up, it looks like using a 7200rpm HD is not a problem...I guess the new ones run a lot cooler, and it's nearly impossible to get a 5400 rpm anyway...hell, 40 Gb Hd's are pretty well obsolete (not quite, but you know what I mean)...anyway, just wondering if anyone here has installed a Seagate (Barracuda, 40Gb) in their Masterlink....I'm sure the fit is fine, just thought I'd throw this up in case there are issues with "certain" manufacturers...my original is a Fuji, not sure where that sat in the "pecking order", but probably not at the top! It did last for nearly 7 years, I guess I won't "dis" it.

Thanks again, BW
I have found Fuji drives not to be reliable, and unfortunately I have had enough Seagates go bad on me not to trust them much either. I tend to stick with Western Digital and Maxtor drives, but that is just me.

bwindsor said:
Thanks Fishmed Returns,

Western Digital has been good to me as well in other units!

BW
thats odd, the only drives I have had issues with are western digital.hey who knows!

Back