Marshall dsl 401

ollie99

I got one! Love it so much, and just re-stringed both my guitars and it sounds BEAST! Love the OD, love the OD boost, love the clean, love the everything!!! Got it for not a bad price either :)

haha :) are the 401 heads the same as the combo but just without the speaker?

There is no 401 head that I'm aware of. I believe the 40w DSL is combo only. Look on the back....is there an external speaker jack? Probably 16ohm mono? If so, you run a speaker cable from that to a cab and it bypasses the built in combo speaker and goes straight to the cab. Then it will work the same as a head. Enjoy either way!

There is no 401 head that I'm aware of. I believe the 40w DSL is combo only. Look on the back....is there an external speaker jack? Probably 16ohm mono? If so, you run a speaker cable from that to a cab and it bypasses the built in combo speaker and goes straight to the cab. Then it will work the same as a head. Enjoy either way!

Oh my mistake, could have sworn I had seen one somewhere! Yeah there is, and I dont think I need that quite yet given the size venues I am playing!

Oh my mistake, could have sworn I had seen one somewhere! Yeah there is, and I dont think I need that quite yet given the size venues I am playing!

Nah, most people don't need one, but they sure look rockstar. :D

And when you get around to it, you'll probably think a 4x12 sounds better too. I think they do. But that's for later. Enjoy your new amp and crank it loud. :)

Do you know what speaker is in it?

Nah, most people don't need one, but they sure look rockstar. :D

And when you get around to it, you'll probably think a 4x12 sounds better too. I think they do. But that's for later. Enjoy your new amp and crank it loud. :)

Do you know what speaker is in it?

Yeah probably because it has a lot more head room?

Um I don't know actually and looking on the marshall website and a quick google search I can't find it anywhere

Yeah probably because it has a lot more head room?

Um I don't know actually and looking on the marshall website and a quick google search I can't find it anywhere

No a 4x12 is a bigger enclosure with more speakers so it's gonna sound bigger, beefier, chunkier, etc. Bigger but tighter bass.

Same here. There are many great amps out there, but you'll never ever ever go wrong with a tube Marshall.

well unless you actually buy one for the wrong purpose, but I'm just being picky over what you said haha. If you get a tube marshall which is meant for what you want then you'll get what you want :)

well unless you actually buy one for the wrong purpose, but I'm just being picky over what you said haha. If you get a tube marshall which is meant for what you want then you'll get what you want :)

If you play rock, classic rock, modern rock, hard rock, soft rock, punk rock, country rock, blues rock, metal, nu-metal, death metal, black metal, rap metal, ska, hardcore, any other core, or any style of music fundamentally based on rock and roll in some way, you can do it with a tube Marshall.

Well, we know you like show tunes music and that is probably a great example of where you could go wrong with a Marshall tube amp. Great point!

but you'll never ever ever go wrong with a tube Marshall.

I don't agree completely. There are plenty of Marshall tube amps that sound like ass [the Haze series for example]. No two Marshall amps sound exactly the same even if they are the same model. But when you find a good one it's a wonderful thing.

I don't agree completely. There are plenty of Marshall tube amps that sound like ass [the Haze series for example]. No two Marshall amps sound exactly the same even if they are the same model. But when you find a good one it's a wonderful thing.

True, no doubt. Some of them are hit or miss. The Haze and MA's being kind of weak. My point was more in general for a new amp buyer. I'll take a Haze over any SS or modeling amp any day.

I've historically never really gotten on with Marshalls - I've tried, and I even owned a TSL for a while, but I always felt like I was fighting the amp to make it do something that it didn't want to do on its own. They seem to have a lot of crunch and hair to them (at least, until they get ABSURDLY loud), while I tend to prefer smoother sounds.

That said, of the Marshalls I've played, the DSL401 was actually one of my favorites. Nice score. :)

Back