Marshall AVT150H Guitar Amplifier Head::PROBLEM

JustaBassist

Well my guitarist purchased the Marshall AVT150H Guitar Amplifier Head and when he finished setting it up and started playing through it for a few minutes, the head 'zapped' and smoke started coming up the vents. Well...hot damn.

So the problem is...it keeps blowing fuses, I think he blew total of 2 or 3, I told him to stop putting fuses in it and send it in some where. Well he hasn't done that yet because he doesn't wanna drain money into it. But he will eventually, haha.

So if anyone can kinda tell me what could be wrong with his head, either major or minor problems, that would be great.

A blowed fuse doesn't smoke on it's own. There's probably another burned part inside which causes the fuse to blow. Get this amp repaired now and make him stop trying new fuses.

It's like a sick cat that doesn't want to eat and vommits every time you feed it. Don't give it more food, go see a veterinary !

If he bought it new send in back to marshall they should fix it at little to no cost. If he bought it used chances are the person who sold it to him knew there was a problem. I have an old marshall combo that did that very same thing. I'd just call around to repair places describe the problem and get some kinda quote. If its blowin fuses it'll keep doin it til it gets fixed.

JustaBassist said:
Well my guitarist purchased the Marshall AVT150H Guitar Amplifier Head and when he finished setting it up and started playing through it for a few minutes, the head 'zapped' and smoke started coming up the vents. Well...hot damn.

So the problem is...it keeps blowing fuses, I think he blew total of 2 or 3, I told him to stop putting fuses in it and send it in some where. Well he hasn't done that yet because he doesn't wanna drain money into it. But he will eventually, haha.

So if anyone can kinda tell me what could be wrong with his head, either major or minor problems, that would be great.

Simple. Have him just wrap a blown fuse in aluminum foil, stick it in and turn it on, turn it up loud and play. Whatever blows up spectacularly was his problem. Keep a fire extinguisher handy.

Don't really do that; it's Friday, and that always draws out the Imp of the Perverse in me.

Well he did buy it off of ebay...Im not sure if he could of returned it or not. But no one has any idea what could be burnt out inside. The smoke came from where the two fans are mounted, theres more electronic cards in that area, not sure what they do. Could it be the power supply? Probably not.

AVT 150H Blown Fuse

I actually have sort of the same situation with my marshall, the fuse kept blowing, and when I read the power supply with my voltmeter it was not indicative of what is was supposed to be. Any ideas to what it might be or how to get a replacement power supply would be awesome. Thanks!

Is the amp connected to an 8 Ohm speaker load? Tube/Valve amps are not happy campers if they are not connected to the correct load and the result is sometimes pyrotechnic.

Ian

When my TV didn't work, I opened it up and let it stand by a big window, when I put it back togeter it worked. It may not be a good idea but it works sometimes.

Is the amp connected to an 8 Ohm speaker load? Tube/Valve amps are not happy campers if they are not connected to the correct load and the result is sometimes pyrotechnic.

Ian

First off this isn't a tube amp, it's a solid state amp with one 12ax7 in the preamp section. It doesn't act like a tube amp at all and can be run with no load. Second, this thread is 2 years old he's probably figured things out by now.

Back