man I'm bluesed out!

Lt. Bob

Spread the Daf!
I know this will be controversial ..... I want to say that I'm NOT hating here.
But I come from 45 years of being a full time player and this is my perspective after playing so long.
So no fighting guys ..... I'm just throwing out a topic for discussion and am curious as to how others might think about this:

So ..... yes, 40 years ago ..... 35 years ago ..... even 30 years ago I was into the blues, especially BB King and Johnny Winter.
I actually have 57 different BB King albums! ..... Hundreds of other blues titles.
And there's a lotta reasons people like the blues.
Often a good dance invoking beat ....... lyrics that everyone can relate to ........ and for young musicians a simple repetitive structure that makes playing along easy.
And out of thousands and thousands of blues songs there are mostly only a handful of common structures that they all share.
Sure .... there are exceptions like say, some of Robert Cray's stuff. But the vast majority are just a few patterns combined in various ways.
So they're a good platform for learning to play with others and do allow for some stretching out to an extent.

But man ........ personally I'm over it. I've played blues songs quite literally 50,000 times or even more possibly since every gig involves at least some blues..
I simply can't sit and listen to the blues anymore ...... I go to blues jams because it's part of how I get work. Jump up there and burn and I'll get gig offers ..... that's how it works.

But I get SO bored with it ...... they're all the same damned song!!!

lol ....... sometimes some of the blues bands I'll play sax with will go a bit crazy once they have a sax guy playing and that's fun but good lord ...........

I IV V (occasional II or VI ), I IV V (occasional II or VI ), I IV V (occasional II or VI ), I IV V (occasional II or VI ), I IV V (occasional II or VI ), I IV V (occasional II or VI ), I IV V (occasional II or VI ), I IV V (occasional II or VI ), I IV V (occasional II or VI ), I IV V (occasional II or VI ), I IV V (occasional II or VI ),

I feel your pain here, Steve.
I myself am to the point of no return with the blues.

I've been doing sound for three blue festivals in the summer months for years now and I just don't get surprised much anymore.

:yawn: :eatpopcorn:

Yeah, I quit listening to blues many years ago. One song can get repetitive enough, let alone a whole festival or gig devoted to it.

I don't mind when a blues song is mixed in with other tunes in a set or on a cd. But to go to a blues club or set out to listen to a blues band?? Nah.. not anymore.

FTR, i don't go to strip clubs anymore, either. :rolleyes:

But to go to a blues club or set out to listen to a blues band?? Nah.. not anymore.

:
actually I don't sit and listen to ANY band anymore ..... it bores me. Pretty much within 2 or 3 songs I'm gonna be up there playing. If there's some reason I can't play I leave. There just isn't a band out there good enough that I don't get bored after 15 minutes.
Playing is fun ...... listening is boring ..... to me anyways.
But blues especially ...... even playing that is boring.

I IV V (occasional II or VI ), I IV V (occasional II or VI ), I IV V (occasional II or VI ), I IV V (occasional II or VI ), I IV V (occasional II or VI ), I IV V (occasional II or VI ), I IV V (occasional II or VI ), I IV V (occasional II or VI ), I IV V (occasional II or VI ), I IV V (occasional II or VI ), I IV V (occasional II or VI ),

LOL
The Blues is a specialty.
Long ago I realized I can't stay in the 'box. After into the 3nd set or so they'd start to blur together...
I need a melody

I know what you mean, this year will be the 39th year I have been playing in bands/recording bands/ live sound. Believe it or not I am now back in a blues band LOL we play british blues, cream, John Mayall, Robin Trower and a ton of our own stuff that sounds like, well, cream, John Mayall, Robin Trower.

I played some blues in most bands from the start, at least in some of the set. However for 17 years I played in a totally original band playing world/electronic dance, when that band broke up I went back to the blues. The break from blues totally did me a lot of good and now I enjoy playing it again. However I don't sit around listening to it that much, just playing it, and a lot of the blues we play is not standard 12 bar.

Alan.

Back