Making drum samples

mrhotapples

Alright. I'm fucked up on Tylenol PM 'cause I'm sleeeepy and I can't seem to achieve it naturally, the sleep that is, so i hopes this sense makes.

I'm recording my band a full-length album this spring and I want it to sound as best as possible so we don't feel like fools paying for distribution. So when we get new heads, I'm sampling that muh. I plan to use a different dynamic mic w/a CAD M177 on each drum. I know how to tune and can get much closer w/ my trusty drum dial, and we're going to do each drum in isolation (mounted/set up w/baffles set up all around it and a dead ceiling). So it should sound awesome!

When we actually track the drums though, we'll use 2 oh, kick, snare, room, floortoom, racktom and hihat. I guess my first question is whether or not to mic both ends of the toms or if I should do a close and distant mic, and how many velocty layers I should make.

My biggest gripe doing this is that I look at it as cheating even though replacement with a pre-processed (or not) sample will make the drums sound a lot more consistent. I plan to EQ and compress the samples by themselves and mix them in with the live take 50/50 using drumagog. Is this a good idea, or should I just go 100? I hate how snare rolls sound even with ghost velocity layers so I dunno, here's wehre I stop making sense to me.

And any tips on cutting the samples up? I've done this before and I got phase issues like whoah.

PLZ GVIES ADVICS thankz

hotapples

I'd say use as many mics as possible and choose the ones you like. Time-aligning will help any phase issues, and EQ/compressing the samples will get you a more 'polished' sound. As for live tracking, I'd use one mic per drum in the conventional placement, as you'll mainly just use them to trigger your samples.
Personally I would never mix 100% samples, you lose quite a lot of the performance if you do that. Just set the trigger velocity so that when the drummer gives a good whack, you get a sample. Snare drum ghost notes and such I would leave as the original sound, and only trigger the strong accents.

Hope that lot makes some sense :P

Back