M Audio M3-8.. Anyone Have Experience With Them ?

bulldozer1984

3 Way M Audio M3-8 Monitors .. Anyone Have Experience With Them ?

Hey guys,

I am interested in these monitors but there aren't many reviews out there.. Can anybody give some insight ?

Last edited:
Pros
Frequency Response: These things are fair to flat from 58Hz past 20k in my room (good treatment).
Clarity: I know it's not a fair comparison, but My Rokit 5s don't even think about some of the minutiae you can hear in these things. They are just clear.
Sweet Spot: The little blue LEDs dim when you get out of the "zone". It's nice and wide, with no loss of clarity as long as you see them bright. Nice feature.

Cons
Audible Hiss at Idle: Not that you can hear it once they start, it's very quiet, but when you expect quiet, it's noticeable.
Volume: To get these things pushing air, you hit 95+ dB @ 1 meter. They are intense loud when you push them hard (110dB+). They are clear and sharp all the way up, but you want a little space between you and them. I would not recommend these as NEAR field monitors.

Bottom line: If you have a decent sized room and like to hear things full up on occasion, these are amazing speakers. I've got mine on a 10' wide wall and I would say that's about minimum. I'm running 6.5' triangle and would recommend that as a BARE minimum. 10-15 might be better.

Pro/Con: Rear firing bass port. These sound amazing where I have them. Having said that, if your room is small and you're pushing these towards the corners, you fire directly into your bass traps. Kinda defeats the purpose, dontcha know.

I realize that you can turn the volume down and they stay clear. You need an interface that has a volume control (mine doesn't) or something like a Big Knob if yours doesn't. When running out of Reason through the US-1800 I don't have any control over the volume besides the master in Reason. Pulling that back affects any master channel effects/compression/etc. So you kind of have to push the volume where it needs to be (hits about 102dB at my listening position which is WAY too loud if you want to keep your ears.) Waiting for some more budget so I can get a volume control between the interface and these things. :D

BD, sent you a PM, but it says basically the same..

Back